The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Tutorial exists?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jhobbs, Apr 4, 2004.

1. jhobbs

jhobbs Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Sturgis, Michigan
    The cPanel documentation is excellent at explaining how to use the features, but not so good at explaining the whys, IMHO. Is there newbie documentation that explains why certain options should be used?

Countless hosts must have been asked how to set up SpamAssassin & filters to control spam, for instance. What value to use for SpamAssassin's "Required hits"? Should I enable spambox? How do I examine all email marked as spam by SpamAssassin? How do I just make all the spam disappear? Why doesn't SpamAssassin work properly for the default email box?

I'm hoping there's good newbie documentation available that I can refer to, or better, copy (with permission). Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    #1 jhobbs, Apr 4, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2004
    I can "feel" for you and your somewhat overhelmed frustration.

Here's a trick I learned quite some time ago....

The best support for any given package, is usually available from the package's creators. So, in the case of Spamassassin, visit their site at Peruse their docs, see what it does, if you even want to use it and how to best to utilize the tool if desired.

Then, if you run into any "peculiarities" as to how cPanel implements the package, you are already armed with the knowledge of how the package "should" function and would probably just need a bit more info. as to how best to coordinate your cpanel config with the package.