The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie wants to know about domain forwarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaptnkill, Feb 16, 2011.

1. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

Hi there,

i have a question about domain forwarding...
    Let says i bought a domain from GoDaddy (ex: mydomain.com), no hosting
    Then i want that domain to point to another domain's folder i own (ex: sub.otherdomain.com/folder) on a different server

The thing i tried is forwarding the domain to "sub.otherdomain.com/folder" from godaddy panel...
    This does work, but as soon as i get forwarded, i see "sub.otherdomain.com/folder" in the browser url field...
    How can i make the domain forwarded (mydomain.com) stay in the url field of the browser...
    In fact how can i link the domain correctly :)

I have acces to x3 panel and WHM, and shell access as root

Thanks for any help you can bring...

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could simply add the domain to the account as an addon domain in cPanel, and then change the nameservers at GoDaddy to point to that cPanel machine. This is really the only way you can have it show the addon domain name instead.

When you create an addon domain in cPanel, it should allow you to pick the path for the addon domain on the account, so you should be able to select sub.otherdomain.com/folder as the path it will use for the addon's DocumentRoot

3. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

So, forwarding is not the way to go?
    When you say change the nameservers to point to the cPanel machine...it mean i need the cPanel machine nameservers?
    Sorry for my newbish question. :)

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have a site already on that machine, then the cPanel machine must have nameservers resolving a domain or domains to it. Otherwise, rather than forward the domain, point the addon domain's A record IP to the IP of the cPanel server for the other domain and, again, simply put it onto the account as an addon domain. You cannot forward the addon domain to have the addon domain name stay in the url bar. It would need to resolve to the server in some way.

Also, no need to apologize!

5. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

Thanks for your help...the job got me this week so i haven't had the time to test it...

Do you know the french translation for addon domain? Is it "domaine compagnon".
    Another question...when you say : point the addon domain's A record...

"A" record stands for what?

6. LinuxTechie

LinuxTechie Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

A record stands for the server IP. If the domain is having a dedicated IP point to that.

7. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

ok..thanks for the info!

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Would addon domain in French possibly be something like domaine supplémentaire because it's basically an additional domain? Not certain really for that question. It does appear that our cPanel French translation does use Domaines compagnons for it, but I think both would work out fine. As a curiosity, why were you asking what it is called?

9. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

Well because as you said i tought it would be called "domaine additionel" instead of "domaine compagnon"...so i just wanted to be sure :)

As for the setup of the addon domain, i got to GoDaddy and changed the nameserver to those used by the cPanel machine, but now the domain doesnt get redirected at all...
    you can try : wearealive.ca (this is the real domain)

Now, to know the real nameservers used by the cpanel machine, i did a whois on the domain (cPanel machine) and got different nameserver than those from inside WHM..so how do i know wich one to use?

If the server use shared ip, does it still work?

As for now, wearealive.ca use the nameserver from WHM not from the whois query

10. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is the domain provided the main domain that is already working on the cPanel machine? If so, then you'd want to use these nameservers for the addon domain:

Otherwise, can't you simply keep the GoDaddy nameservers you had before and just change the A record to the cPanel account's IP as I mentioned to point that domain to the cPanel server?

11. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

no, in fact the domain i am on (cpanel machine) is a sub domain (tim.cgmatane.qc.ca) of the main domain cgmatane.qc.ca

So the A record would be changed from godaddy, not from the cpanel machine?

I am getting a bit lost with the "A" record thing...
    Thanks for your time

#11 kaptnkill, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Given I'm confused myself on what is the domain that will point to another domain and what is the other domain that already works on that machine, it is likely best to change the A record for this domain that needs to point elsewhere. Again, the A record is just the IP address for where it should be going.

If you want to clarify with the actual domains names and not examples on what should be doing what, that would probably help us get what needs to happen.

Thanks!

13. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

Hehe, sorry if i am confusing you..i know i am confusing myself:)

The domain i bought from godaddy : wearealive.ca

The subdomain i use on the cPanel Machine : tim.cgmatane.qc.ca

I dont have control on the domain cgmatane.qc.ca, but i do have full control over tim.cgmatane.qc.ca

So i would like the domain wearealive.ca to point to a folder like tim.cgmatane.qc.ca/folder so it still shows wearealive.ca in the url bar.

The subdomain tim.cgmatane.qc.ca is using shared ip (as for now)...

I think that is about it :)

Thanks

14. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For the time being, if you could set the domain wearealive.ca to forward as you have already at GoDaddy, then set the following in the DNS Manager for the wearealive.ca domain:

Code:
    [b]Host    |   Points to    | TTL[/b]
      @     | 205.237.231.24 | 1 Hour
    Then click the "Save Zone File" entry. When you click in the field, it should let you edit to change to the 205.237.231.24 IP.

After doing this, give it a few hours to propagate, although you can always check in a proxy like proxify.net or kproxy.com to see if it is working. You must also create the addon domain wearealive.ca in the cPanel for the tim.cgmatane.qc.ca account and have the path to the wearealive.ca domain that where you are wanting it to resolve (so /home/username/public_html/folder location where username is the cPanel username for the tim.cgmatane.qc.ca account and folder is the name of the folder on that account).

15. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

Just to be sure, this part is done on the godaddy side? Right?

Since it is a domain forwarding, should i give back the original nameservers from godaddy to wearealive.ca?

Since i wont be able to use a computer for the weekend, i will test that monday...and will give you details

Thanks for your patience and help!

16. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Correct, that part is done on GoDaddy's site and you would put it back to the GoDaddy parked nameservers for the wearealive.ca domain prior to changing the A record in the DNS manager at GoDaddy.

17. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

Ok..i am waiting for the dns to propagate...hope its gonna do it!

Well, i just cheked and it does forward the domain, but without keeping it in the adress bar (like it did in the first place)...

I did create an addon domain in cpanel...is there any reason why it wouldnt work?

Also.... if i dont allow remote domain in WHM, i get this error :
    Error from park wrapper: Utiliser les serveurs de noms ayant les adresses IP suivantes : xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Désolé, le domaine est déjà pointé vers une adresse IP qui ne semble pas utiliser un serveur DNS associé avec ce serveur. Veuillez transférer le domaine sur le serveur de nom de ce serveur, ou faire ajouter un de ses serveurs de noms sur /etc/ips.remotedns par un administrateur système et ajouter les entrées A appropriées sur ce serveur de nom distant.

#17 kaptnkill, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  18. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

Now i get to this page when i deactivate addon domain: wearealive.ca/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi...we are getting closer:)

19. kaptnkill

kaptnkill Member

Working!...thanks for your help cPanelTristan

The propagation just took a very long time!

You rock!