The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newby... how to access full-feature cpanel for a user?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sammos, Jan 8, 2005.

1. sammos

sammos Member

Hello,
    I'm new to reselling and I've just set up my packages, with limited access to features. My relationship with my customers is not like a regular reseller and I'll be actively managing their accounts, installing CMS's, etc. But I don't want them to be able to access much of this on their own. So I've limited their cpanel features.

But now... How can I access a cpanel for their account which gives me full access to all of cpanel's features?? When I go in through WHM I can only get to their limited cpanel.

Help is much appreciated!

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Perhaps it might be best to modify the theme your using removing the features you don't want them to have, drop it in a new directory ( so your changes to get overwritten during cpanel update ) and just switching their theme back and forth as needed ? As far as i know, you can't access those feature if their package dissalows it.

3. sammos

sammos Member

that's not the problem... here's more detail

Hey... the problem isn't with limiting features to their cpanel theme. I've done that using the WHM Feature manager.

The problem is that I can not, myself, get into a CPanel for their hosting account which gives me access to the full features.

Right now this is how I am accessing their CPanel account:
    In WHM I go to List Accounts, find the account I want to administer, and click the CP icon next to their account. This then takes me to their CPanel, which is limited based on the Feature Manager in WHM.

But I need to be able to access a FULL CPanel so that I can use Fantastico, MySQL, etc.

How can I do that?

Thanks much!

4. philb

philb Well-Known Member

I don't think you can without restoring the priveleges everytime you want to edit the account and then removing them again.

My recommendation would be just to not give the customer a cpanel login if it's a managed service.

5. sammos

sammos Member

Wow.

Wow. Okay.

Would having a dedicated server give me this ability? Or is there just no way to do it with CPanel?

Thanks!

6. philb

philb Well-Known Member

I don't think it's easily done even if you have access to the whole box. The way CPanel's transfers work just throw you in to whatever the user sees, and without some heavyweight modification to the way it works, you're not going to do it without toggling something (be it priveleges or a theme) each time you want to use the 'full' interface.

7. haze

haze Well-Known Member

I don't think you've understood what i've said so i'll try and put it another way.

There are 2 levels of the cpanel software. One level is cpanel ( which your clients view ) the second is WHM in which you view. You use WHM to modify the way in which your clients can interact with their web site, they use cpanel as an interface to easily modify their perspective of features.

There is no third level. Perhaps if you look into another theme such as rvskin ( have a search of the forums in the skin section ) you can have further access, however the most economical would be what I suggested above. Take the current cpanel them they have, then modify it down to allow them access to only the features you want them to have. Give them that theme and when you need to make modifications, change the them back to the regular old them, log into their account, make the changes, and then modify it back to the theme you developed.

Perhaps if you don't trust your clients enough or if it just doesn't fit in with your way of business, you shouldn't provide them with cpanel access at all. If they don't know about cpanel, they they'd not log in, if its a managed hosting service you'd probably take care of the uploading, email assignment, etc. so they wouldn't even know their log in.

Either way.. im sure that either RVskin or the self modification of the theme would fit into what you're after so you might want to look into both and see which one works best for you.

8. bgardmore

bgardmore Member

Fantastico and PHPMyAdmin does not work with this type of login, you need to login as the actual user ( not the root or reseller)

Someone else suggested creating another skin with all the features enabled, switch to this skin before logging in and back again when you come out, real pain and even then you need to log in the front door to get full access to Fantastico etc and not just click on the link from WHM.

9. NT

NT Well-Known Member

RVSkin works well for your needs, I find it useful accessing limited customer accounts, as you can configure RVSkin to put you on an "Admin Layer", which shows everything that's disabled in the limited cPanel.

Problem is RVSkin costs money, and like bgardmore said, Fantastico and phpMyAdmin don't allow reseller passwords, only the client password.

HTH,
    Nick.

10. sammos

sammos Member

Thank you

Thanks folks, this has been really helpful!

I'd like to put in a plug for the idea of having administrative access to people's accounts via an admin-level cpanel. (any cpanel dev's watching?)

My problem isn't so much that I don't want people to have features.. rather I want to spare them of features. I work with non-technical nonprofit staff and I want them to log into cpanel to administer email, email lists, FTP accounts, and access statistics without getting scared away. For those with more tech savvy, I'll give them more. But I'll always be managing the installation and upgrade of their CMS's, etc.

I think I have a sense of what I can do with RV Skin, but it seems that I'll just be switching skins rather than changing the permissions via the feature manager. Either way it's almost a disincentive to provide deep-level support to folks who are not tech-savvy.

If I'm missing something about RVSkin please do let me know. It looks like it's very popular! I'll have to figure out how to modify it because I don't like how the customer support and home links on some of the skins do nothing but open a browser window. I'm assuming it's intended to be customized.

Best,
    -Sam