The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newby nameserver question...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by EMS, Feb 5, 2004.

1. EMS

May 10, 2003
    Here goes...

I have 2 dedicated servers on seperate hosts for my own projects and some small hosting for others.

Both these servers are running cpanel WHM.

I know this isnt recommended but up til now I've been using server1 as both my nameservers running just 2 IP's........

Server1 hostname =

I've never had any DNS related problems with the above server. All the domains i've run frm there have been accessable from everywhere.

I now have a second server in a different location and I've been happily adding domains to this and using the above nameservers.

server2 has established a connection with server1 as its master nameserver - when I create accounts on server2 they corerectly update the zone files on server1.

Recently some of the domains I've been hosting on the new box have become unnavailable - or there one minute, gone the next. One person told me they can intermittently see the domain but cannot connect to email.

This is definateley a DNS issue but why ? From my DSL connection its fine and I can see all of the domains on the server. Other people on different isps cannot. Additionally, one of the sites had a google adwords campaign paused because google said the domain wasnt there.

One domain was added 5 days ago and the guy I designed the ite for cannot see the domain - but I can.

I'm not sure what I need to do as far as reverse DNS or even if I have the zone files wrong. I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

Incidentally, I still want to keep using 1 or both of these servers as the pri and 2nd nameservers.
    #1 EMS, Feb 5, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2004