The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newly transferred account http problems.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by schwim, Sep 8, 2008.

  1. schwim

    schwim Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2006
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Hi there everyone,

    I'm moving a client from a shared server to a VPS. I set up the new server, and then moved over the account using the "transfer account" feature. I had to rename the account on the destination server, since it conflicted with the user account that I had created for the new server. It's a ded. IP account, so I selected that option.

    It downloaded the account, installed it and no errors occurred. I then installed a new SSL for the site. Once that was done, I edited my /etc/hosts so I could test it before pointing the domain.

    Problem is that no pages get served. If I try to visit the domain, I get

    I realized that I didn't have a hosting package created that matched the old, so I created a new package, assigned it to the domain. The problem still persists, however.

    I tried connecting to FTP, but the ftp connection just simply drops after the password gets presented. No errors get shown. If I try to shell in(it's permitted on the account), I get

    If I shell in with the SU, I can see the directory, so it is there. The problem seems to be with the username being switched from one server to another, maybe.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    thanks,
    json
     
    #1 schwim, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. schwim

    schwim Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2006
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Well guys, I guess I could keep sitting on my thumbs in hopes of a white knight, but as they say, time is money....

    With Joshua's assistance at cPanel, I found out that the account transfer was b0rked(in spite of my transfer script's assurances otherwise) with improper file owners and permissions. Attempting to rectify the problem by altering the primary user name and re-transferring the account only made matters worse.

    Since it's going to be the only site on the server, I opted to reprovision it and start fresh, since if I were a client, I wouldn't want it handed to me after all the problems it had from the start.

    Well, I can hardly call it resolved, but maybe this might help someone considering investing a lot of time in the same problem.

    thanks,
    json
     
  3. schwim

    schwim Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2006
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Thanks to Lee at cPanel, the problem was solved:

    The transfer process was causing the account on the source server to go over quota in disk space(when creating the file to be moved). The script never threw an error of any kind and stated it was successful, but that was not the case.

    Lifting the restrictions solved the problem.

    I'm glad we had this talk. I feel we've become a tighter knit community due to it.

    thanks,
    json
     
Loading...

Share This Page