The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFS/portmap ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ironcom, Feb 23, 2005.

1. ironcom

ironcom Registered

Hi all,

I recently purchased a backup server (one of those 200GB servers) from EV1. It seems to work fine, (I can login via serial console and SSH, etc)...but I can't seem to get NFS to work.

NFS successfully started on the backup server (configured /etc/exports, and whatnot).

However, I cannot start portmap on my main (production server).

I receive the following message:

root@bender [~]# portmap -d
    portmap[2651]: cannot bind udp: Address already in use

I do a ps -aux | grep portmap -- and portmap is NOT running. I tried rebooting the server, but get the same thing. I am assuming I need to run portmap on both the client and server for NFS to work. When I just try to mount the NFS directory (without starting portmap), I get a "local server unreachable" message, and "mount" locks up!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mark

2. ironcom

ironcom Registered

Wow, after about 3 hours, turns out portsentry is the culprit. :) Now just have to reconfigure it properly.

3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

You can either remove re-configure portsentry or turn it off completly. Check your startup scripts and disable it from there, that way it won't start up at boot, then service portsentry stop ( and make sure its not in chkservd, i believe its not ).

Also make sure you have the appropriate ports open for that interface in your firewall.