Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

NFS/portmap ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ironcom, Feb 23, 2005.

1. ironcom

ironcom Registered

Hi all,

I recently purchased a backup server (one of those 200GB servers) from EV1. It seems to work fine, (I can login via serial console and SSH, etc)...but I can't seem to get NFS to work.

NFS successfully started on the backup server (configured /etc/exports, and whatnot).

However, I cannot start portmap on my main (production server).

I receive the following message:

root@bender [~]# portmap -d
    portmap[2651]: cannot bind udp: Address already in use

I do a ps -aux | grep portmap -- and portmap is NOT running. I tried rebooting the server, but get the same thing. I am assuming I need to run portmap on both the client and server for NFS to work. When I just try to mount the NFS directory (without starting portmap), I get a "local server unreachable" message, and "mount" locks up!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mark

2. ironcom

ironcom Registered

Wow, after about 3 hours, turns out portsentry is the culprit. :) Now just have to reconfigure it properly.

3. haze

haze Well-Known Member

You can either remove re-configure portsentry or turn it off completly. Check your startup scripts and disable it from there, that way it won't start up at boot, then service portsentry stop ( and make sure its not in chkservd, i believe its not ).

Also make sure you have the appropriate ports open for that interface in your firewall.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...