The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Cpanel Reseller is 100% Anonymous... Here is why..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sitehostz, Apr 3, 2003.

1. sitehostz

sitehostz Well-Known Member

We have received numerous emails from our resellers about our resellers accounts for the fact that they want to be as anonymous as possible. Some of the changes we made were to dns for resellers to be as anonymous as possible. We removed the Server Name / Host Name from the XSkin Theme to show something like Cpanel Server 112 ECT.

But we have received alot of emails about exims mail headers that show the hostname of our servers and for reseller clients who choose to be emailed the cron output nightly, This too shows our server names. All of these make our reseller's clients able to find out who we are behind the scenes which doens't give our resellers very good anonymity.

We have alot of resellers who are doing really well and would like to find a solution to these common speedbumps. If anyone has done something to bypass these problems, Can you please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. essentials

essentials Member

Try running your servers under an anonymous domain name instead of your main domain ;)

3. sitehostz

Hello,
    Thanks for the tips. However, We have way to many servers under our domain name, not our main one but very simular so this would end up causing alot of work and possible downtime.

If the hostname of the server is specified in the dns zone for each main server, would it matter what you changed the hostname to under the settings for the server?

Thanks for your time,
    Chris

4. rochen

rochen Active Member
    PartnerNOC

No, that is not tied to the hostname in the zone file. That is simply the email contact for that zone. You will also need to recompile Apache etc. after making the hostname change.

5. sitehostz

Thanks rochen,
    Much appreciated..

6. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

Acutally, you dont have to recompile apache at all. A reboot will be sufficient. Also, you will get into trouble if your are serving SSL Certs that are tied to your hostname. Dont forget that. Thats the only reason why we havent changed ours. If you change your hostname then your certs will not work.

7. semaj

semaj Well-Known Member

We used a generic domain for our server name root.urlf.com
    Server 2 has root2.urlf.com & so on.
    Our shared SSL is on the same domain & yes it does work.
    We run custom nameservers for the domian
    nso1 & ns02.urlf.com.

Do a whois search & it turns up not much which keeps us pretty well anonymous from our reseller's customers.

8. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can't say as I agree with your methods, James.

A blank WHOIS is not right, for one thing, and having an eMail address listed at urlf.com does seem to defeat the purpose of anonymity.

Some may say the you are doing exactly what essentials posted above, but I would say, although you've got the right idea the implementation is flawed. Due to the fact that Server owner/operators 'must' be able to be contacted -- which is why the DNS works the way it does -- it does require some fore-thought in setting up an Anonymous Server.

Those of us in the position of not having done that, have no alternative but to 'bite the bullet' and setup new Servers for better (proper?) Server Anonymity for Resellers. Then switch current Resellers over, if that big of a deal.

9. dianaward

dianaward Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    So, why does a reseller need to hide that they are a reseller?

Seems like deceptive business practices to me. I was a reseller for quite a while, and just proudly told my clients that I used Ventures Online's servers, and gave them a link to the datacenter info. I offered more personal help and support than VO can, so I still got all the clients I needed. Now I have my own servers, and any reseller who wants to pretend that they aren't will have to look elsewhere for a reseller's account.

Just my opinion.
    Diana

10. Finkinstein

Finkinstein Well-Known Member

Re: So, why does a reseller need to hide that they are a reseller?

Couldn't of put it better myself.

11. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Get a domain name at godaddy, use their anonymous service. Clients love it.

12. AusJeff

AusJeff Active Member

This is how we remain anonymous.

Name Servers - An anonymous domain name nsX.dns.com

Host Names - something.webhost.com

Secure SSL - ssl-servername.secure.com

Each domain name that is registered has a working email for emergency contact but that's all. (abuse, postamster and all those are also valid emails)

So far to date, no-one has found out :)

But yes, we also have resellers that just say who they use, and it doesn't seem to matter much anyway.

Regards,
    Jeff.

13. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

I agree. I have 56 resellers on one box and they all use ns1/ns2.ourdomain.com nameservers. They dont really care. You get the occassional person who cares then we give them a generic nameserver name. If people really want to find out who the reseller is they can simply do traces etc. Nobody care though generally.