No details in new zone editor if advanced zone editor not enabled

123Host

Apr 24, 2015
USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
In the Advanced Zone Editor there is now a warning

Warning: This interface is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Use the new Zone Editor to perform the same functions.

Fair enough. So I disabled Advanced Zone Editor in the features editor. Then in the new Zone Editor only the MX records were available, nothing else.

I re-enabled Advanced Zone Editor in the features editor and then all records are available in the new Zone Editor.

This doesn't seem right, can anyone clarify?

Last edited by a moderator:

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Use the new Zone Editor to perform the same functions.
This is the docs for that:
Zone Editor - Documentation - cPanel Documentation
There is says:
Note:

The actions available depend on the features enabled on the cPanel account. You can manage cPanel account features in WHM's Feature Manager interface (Home >> Packages >> Feature Manager).
Doesn't say which though.

I'm seeing the same as you here.

So I disabled Advanced Zone Editor in the features editor. Then in the new Zone Editor only the MX records were available, nothing else.
advanceddisabled.png

I re-enabled Advanced Zone Editor in the features editor and then all records are available in the new Zone Editor.
advancedenabled.png

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @123Host,

We've updated the Zone Editor document to include the following note to help clarify the distinction between Advanced Zone Editor as a feature, and Advanced Zone Editor as an option in the cPanel UI:

To access all available zone record types, your systems administrator must enable the Advanced Zone Editor feature in WHM's Feature Manager interface (Home >> Packages >> Feature Manager).
Thanks!

aegis

Jul 6, 2003
This is quite confusing for both users and admins.

The Feature Manager has only the old Simple and Advanced Zone editors. There's no option for the new Zone Editor.

So, if you want a full feature new Zone Editor, you end up with THREE zone editors in the users cPanel.

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This is quite confusing for both users and admins.

The Feature Manager has only the old Simple and Advanced Zone editors. There's no option for the new Zone Editor.

So, if you want a full feature new Zone Editor, you end up with THREE zone editors in the users cPanel.
Hello,

While confusing, it will only be that way for the short term. We will remove the Simple and Advanced Zone editors from the product in an upcoming release. The privileges will remain. We could rename the privileges at that time to reduce confusion.