The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No domain - what to enter as hostname?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by khorinis, Aug 15, 2010.

1. khorinis

khorinis Well-Known Member

Hello,
    if i want to use cpanel and i haven't a domain for the server - do i need to enter the IP as hostname or what to do? I read that the hostname must be similar to the address - for example hostname must be hostname.com if i bought the domain hostname.

2. donnythom

donnythom Member

You could always just use a free domain for the time being as your hostname and replace it whenever you actually buy a domain.

Godaddy also has .info domains for like 89 cents. :)

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You need a hostname

Any server must have a valid fully-qualified hostname. By "fully-qualified," I mean that it must have three portions: hostname, domain name, and top-level domain. To give you an example:

host.domain.tld

host is a unique identifier for your server. Many people use "server" or "host", but if you ever intend to have more than one server, it would be best to use something unique. Many admins have a naming scheme for their servers. For example, I tend to use species of birds for my servers.

Very important: The host portion of the fully-qualified hostname should not be "www." This is a common mistake, and it will cause serious issues when you try to actually host a site with that domain name.

domain is the domain portion of your server. Most admins use the main domain they are going to use for their hosting site, but there is no requirement that this be the case.

tld is the top-level domain portion of your domain name. .com, .org, .net are the original top-level domains, though there are now many others. Country codes, such as .co.uk or .de, are considered part of the top-level domain.

By default, a new CentOS or Red Hat installation sets the hostname as localhost.localdomain. This will not work well. The hostname needs to be fully-qualified as I described above. The hostname needs to be set correctly, and it is best to do it during the operating system installation.

The cPanel installer now checks the hostname and will not proceed if it is not fully-qualified as I have described.

#3 cPanelJared, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    cPanelDon likes this.
  4. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I totally agree with cPanelJared. You must host one domain on your server to avoid any problem in future like mail rejected by AOL,Hotmal etc because RDNS entry is missing for your servers hostname.....

There for first create new account for domain and set hostname as well as make sure that your domain resolving from your server and then set hostname from WHM.