The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No email for any accounts - 40+ hours

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by knipper, Sep 16, 2007.

1. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

Hi everyone...

Huge problem... now going on 40 hours of no email. When I originally set up our server 2 years ago I had many changes to secure & lockdown the server and email. Including custom ACL in exim.conf to prevent spam, dictionary attacks, etc.

Since the server is now only used to host a couple friends sites, and just my e-commerce businesses I do not make many changes as I no longer publicly host sites as a business.

Sometime in the recent past I was upgraded to CPanel 11. I had been seeing system email to upgrade pearl to 5.8.8 which I had put off. Well... since I had time the other day, I searched the forum and found the steps to do the upgrade, Which created a disaster.

Since I was not aware of the many changes to make CPanel 11 upgrades smooth I did nothing to prepare for what would happen.

I upgraded to pearl 5.8.8 which caused e-mail & FTP to stop working. After cruising the forums and seeing several posts about upgrade issues... I though Uh-oh. I did find when CPanel was upgraded It had left my original Exim.conf in place, and suggested repair steps. Somehow the pearl upgrade didn't like the old file and email stopped working.

I logged into WHM made corrections as suggested in the directions BUT did NOT re-install the custom ACL's so it should be a standard config file. I found and was able to finally view CPanel 11 tips/faq which solved an FTP problem. I then found the thread about converting email to IMAP/Maildir which I also attempted. (It has been 8 hours since the conversion completed)

I was hoping when CPanel did its overnight updates, It may correct any installation problems, etc that may have occurred, but it doesn't seem it did.

I had posted an initial thread here: http://forums.cpanel.net/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=5 but with no response.

I'm hoping some of you Guru's see it (Chirpy or CPanel nick you out there?) and can help me out quickly!:cool:

Thanks in advance.

2. deanstev

deanstev Well-Known Member

Try forcing a reinstall of cPanel via SSH

/scripts/upcp --force

also, have you tried force reinstalling the exim/ftp

/scripts/eximup --force
    /scripts/ftpup --force

3. knipper

email problems

Thanks deanstev

Yes... I have already gotten the FTP portion fixed. It's the mail I am having issues with.
    I have done a forced install last night.

Any other suggestions?:confused:

4. deanstev

Isn't there an option to reset the exim configuration back to default?

5. knipper

Exim config

Yep... Already tried that as well this AM. I first tried default ACL's, then tried default file through WHM.

I am suspecting I may have made changes to other files for increased spam reduction, etc. that are now causing the problems. But at this point I am lost as where to start looking. I am assuming mail is being qued up somewhere... But I do not see any in que through WHM.

6. maysoft

maysoft Well-Known Member

Hey,

Are you running stable or release?

7. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Does /var/log/exim_mainlog report any error ? Are you able to send or receive emails or both are broken ? Did you check your DNS ?

8. knipper

more info

Hey gang,

I am running 11.11.0-RELEASE 16983

Both inbound & outbound are not working. There are no mail errors. I can see mail being checked when going through exim. No errors. No bounces when test mail.

I suspect it is getting checked by mailscanner, and getting caught in a que somewhere either in exim or mailscanner before the server sends it out.... If I can only remember where the directories are!

:(

9. knipper

mailscanner problem

OK... I think it's a Mailscanner problem.

It seems from the log mailscanner is restarting every 10 seconds. I tried to do a:
    service MailScanner Stop
    But it does not work!

This version of MailScanner was before CPanel used it, and had some unusual placements. I have tried several methods to get it to stop so I can restart it, and see what happens.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to restart it? :confused:

Thanks.

10. deanstev

It sounds like you'd changed something in mailscanner, and since its been updated those modifications no longer work - is there now way for you to force mailscanner reinstall?

11. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not sure if this is helpful or not, but have a peek at these posts and see.

http://www.configserver.com/blog/index.php?catid=6

Sounds to me like you're not keeping up with all changes as needed. You should, as there have been a few in recent months that you need to know about.

HTH good luck.

12. knipper

Thanks infopro,

I have taken a look at some of the posts. I also took a look back through several posts from a long time ago when setting up the server. Unfortunately many of the original forum sites/threads no longer exist.

Luckily most of my mail configuration came from many of Jonathan's tutorials (Chirpy) prior to him having http://www.configserver.com on line.

Hopefully I'll get this sorted soon, and will post results. If I get any further... I may post for more assistance here!

13. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    If it has to do with anything "chirpy" related, you might check out his forums over there for up to the moment postings and support. Many Q&A there to go thru as well. The blog is just news, the forums have more info. I'd stay away from old threads on this forum here though, lots has changed, much of it here could be outdated and worthless, not to mention troublesome if you attempt. (IMO of course, YYMV) ;)

14. knipper

Mailscanner errors

OK folks,

It's definately a perl related problem as when I try to start mailscanner I get this:
    I have done the pearl force updates... Any suggestions?

15. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I know you need Perl 5.8.8 for cPanel 11, as that's what the cPanel techs told me. They upgraded my server to 5.8.8 to try to figure out an unrelated bug, and it totally buggered my Mailscanner (chirpy's as well) install. With a bit of searching and a bit of help from them, I got it back working. I don't know if this will help you at all, but here's what I had to do to get mail delivery back:

You need run these commands on the command line to get the libraries back you need:

/scripts/perlinstaller --force Scalar::Util
    /scripts/perlinstaller --force Compress::Raw::Zlib Net::CIDR Archive::Zip
    /scripts/perlinstaller --force Compress::Zlib Convert::BinHex Inline::C Time::HiRes Digest::SHA1
    /scripts/perlinstaller --force IO::Zlib Net::IP
    /scripts/perlinstaller --force Mail::ClamAV

And then you need to reinstall MailScanner using the directions on chirpy's site, but here's what I did:

Upgrading MailScanner

* Remove any previous versions before downloading:
    rm -fv msinstall.tar.gz
    rm -Rfv msinstall/
    * Run the following commands from the root shell:
    wget http://www.configserver.com/free/msinstall.tar.gz
    tar -xzf msinstall.tar.gz
    cd msinstall/
    sh install.sh
    Select option 1 to upgrade

* Check that MailScanner has restarted OK:
    tail -f /var/log/maillog

Upgrading ClamAV

* Download the latest stable ClamAV distribution from http://www.clamav.net
    * Expand the distribution and cd into the resultant directory and build ClamAV using:
    tar -xzf clamav-*
    cd clamav*
    ./configure --disable-zlib-vcheck
    make
    make install
    replace "Example" "#Example" -- /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf
    replace "Example" "#Example" -- /usr/local/etc/clamd.conf
    * Run freshclam to download the latest definitions:
    freshclam
    * If you're using the clamavmodule, check you have the latest version installed:
    /scripts/perlinstaller --force Mail::ClamAV
    * Then restart MailScanner with:service MailScanner restart

Hope that helps!

16. knipper

Thanks Orty...

I am in contact with the folks at Configserver to update my mailscanner as I am also running a retail store... and don't have a lot of time.

I did go to start the pearl reinstall per your instructions and get an error, Just FYI:
    Code:
    Going to read /home/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
    Can't locate object method "new" via package "IO::Uncompress::Gunzip" at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/Compress/Zlib.pm line 140.

Ugh.

17. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Do you have Perl 5.8.8 installed? If you're still on cPanel 11, you need to have 5.8.8 installed and then follow the directions I gave you.

Otherwise, you're on your own as I'm just not as smart as some of those guys out there :)

18. knipper

Hey again...

Yea... I upgraded to pearl 5.8.8 which is what caused my entire problem! When I did the upgrade is when it broke my e-mail. :( It caused some other problems as well, but I have been able to resolve those so far.

This was my original post: http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=64738&page=6

19. orty

orty Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only reason I asked is because it looks like those libraries are trying to install in the 5.8.1 directory, not the 5.8.8.

Sorry, beyond my expertise and time at this point.

20. knipper

No Problem Orty...

Thanks for trying to assist! A broken box is what I get for not doing this everyday any more, and I should have known better to try an update before checking through threads here for known problems.

I just created a mess, that will take some time to dig out I guess. :eek:

#20 knipper, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007