The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No external emails getting through ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by oldlock, Oct 4, 2008.

1. oldlock

oldlock Well-Known Member

I'm a total newbie on this so please bear with me. Below is the text of a post I have made on the hosts forum :

--

It seems that no emails are getting through outside the server, I have enabled SPF and requested a rDNS (although I'm not sure I requested the right thing). I have 3 ip's two of which are linked to my nameservers. The third is a shared IP for the domains. I requested that they all rDNS to my hostname elvo.vpslink.com - is that correct ?

If the rDNS is right is there anything else that could be causing the problem. Looking at the mail queue it seems that all messages are getting ' Connection Refused '

--

If I have requested the right thing on the rDNS does anyone have any suggestions as to just what could be causing the total failure of all external email - note all email being sent from my server is being generated by php applications such as phpbb etc.

2. oldlock

Help ! It does appear that the rDNS should be set to the hostname, so I registered another TLD (pplckhost.com) and set it to my nameservers (not sure thats right) and added it as a new hostname. I had my host perform a rDNS on the new name but still no joy, I get the distinct idea that I'm going in circles here, any suggestions would be appreciated !

3. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Your mx server host name appears to be kaboodled in your dns record. Also you are blocking tcp connections most likely by your firewall.

4. oldlock

Thanks for the reply. Odd the MX records appear OK with a online test this end. Maybe the change has'nt quite propagated fully yet ? (if so could that be the problem ??)

Any suggestions for a fix on the firewall ?

BTW - I have the system set to blackhole all other email traffic incoming apart from addresses I use as I get a lot of spam ..

5. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Here are your three errors:

WARNING: One or more of your mailservers is claiming to be a host other than what it really is (the SMTP greeting should be a 3-digit code, followed by a space or a dash, then the host name). If your mailserver sends out E-mail using this domain in its EHLO or HELO, your E-mail might get blocked by anti-spam software. This is also a technical violation of RFC821 4.3 (and RFC2821 4.3.1). Note that the hostname given in the SMTP greeting should have an A record pointing back to the same server. Note that this one test may use a cached DNS record.

filter1.spry.com claims to be invalid hostname '*********************************': <br /> 220 ********************************* <br />filter2.spry.com claims to be invalid hostname '*********************************': <br /> 220 ********************************* <br />

ERROR: Your nameservers disagree as to which version of your DNS is the latest (1223248080 versus 1223248220). This is OK if you have just made a change recently, and your secondary DNS servers haven't yet received the new information from the master. I will continue the report, assuming that 1223248220 is the correct serial #. The serial numbers reported by each DNS server are:
    209.59.193.17: 1223248220
    64.246.165.245: 1223248080

WARNING: One or more of your DNS servers does not accept TCP connections. Although rarely used, TCP connections are occasionally used instead of UDP connections. When firewalls block the TCP DNS connections, it can cause hard-to-diagnose problems. This message could also appear if your DNS servers are using anycast. The problem servers are:

209.59.193.17: Error [Connection refused (10061)]. 64.246.165.245: Error [Connection refused (10061)].