The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Incoming Mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Zekeman, May 5, 2010.

1. Zekeman

Zekeman Member

Nov 13, 2004
    I am having an issue with incoming mail on a newly created account. All the other server accounts mail works fine. I have used the /scripts/mailperm and this has not solved it. However if I send mail to the new account from withing any other cpanel account it works. I can not receive mail to this account from outside servers. Any ideas? There isnt even any indication in the mail log that its hitting the server.
  2. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As you mentioned that you are having problem with one domain only and other domains are receiving mails due to that first you need to check MX record for your domain. You can check MX record by using following URL

intoDNS: checks DNS and mail servers health

or provide us domain name so that we can provide you exact details for your domain.
  3. cPanelJamyn

cPanelJamyn Social Engineer
    Staff Member

Jan 29, 2009
    If other accounts are working fine, it's less likely to be a problem with the exim config, and more likely to be a configuration problem for this domain. The problem can lie in a few possible places:

a) DNS is not configured properly.
    Check your DNS records to ensure they:
    - point to this server (MX may currently point elsewhere)
    - have a valid MX record
    - indicate the cPanel server is authoritative for the domain

b) you may have a forwarder or other redirect in place on the cPanel server.
    - Mail may be reaching your server, but then be routed elsewhere if you have a forwarder setup.

It's likely (a) is the problem. Most of the time in situations like this, the user forgets to change their DNS over from the old location to the new one, so mail routing isn't properly changed over, and mail delivery is still going to the old location/elsewhere.
  4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Jun 24, 2005
    Well I guess first things first, run through the basics ....

Since you said you are receiving other mail on the same server on other accounts then I will presume that your Exim is configured correctly ...

Also it should be noted that email accounts require the full email address as the login name on cpanel servers except for the primary but the primary is not really on your domain but is in fact an alias of the server's hostname (user@hostname) which is another subject of discussion.
    Bottom line make sure you are using the correct login name.

Next ...

Take a look at /var/named/ ....

(NOTE: where '' above is actually your domain name)

You want to make sure that the DNS servers are correct and that you have the correct MX record showing for the domain.

If you need to make changes, make sure to restart "named" service

Next ....

Take a look at /etc/localdomains and /etc/remotedomains ...

If your email for that domain is being hosted by the server then you will want the domain to appear in the "localdomains" file but you do not want it to show up in the "remotedomains"

(Note if your mail were being handled externally such as by Google for example then you would do exactly the opposite here)

May also want to take a peak at your each of your 'alias' folders off of /etc to check the status for forwarders and redirects for email accounts on that domain --- may need some adjustments there.

If you need to make changes, good idea to restart "exim" service