The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No mod_php option in WHM & Is mod_php faster than fcgi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkSoroush, Oct 7, 2011.

1. DarkSoroush

DarkSoroush Member

Hi all,

I have two question/problem,

First, There is no DSO or mod_php option in WHM, So i cant change my php handler to it. What can i do?! Compiling php?! I searched EasyApache's options. But didn't find any thing related to mod_php (Just a patch for mod_php)

Second, Is DSO faster than fcgi?!How much? Now i am using fcgi with xCache. But there are process named PHP which use cpu more than 10% sometimes!! I didn't have them when i was on DSO + xCache!

I can't tell if my performance is changed. Cuz i was on other server with DSO and now i am in an other server with fcgi and completely different specs.

My current server is a Core2Duo E8400 2x3.0GHz 6MB Cache with 4 gig ram. My load is about 1-2 in normal. I have about 40k page view per day.

tnx

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you using any MPM besides Prefork such as MPM Event or MPM Worker? If so, you cannot use DSO with those other MPMs and that's why DSO isn't showing up in the WHM > Apache Configuration > PHP and SuExec Configuration area. You will need to recompile EasyApache in order to have DSO available after switching back to MPM Prefork.

You can check which MPM you have with the following command in root SSH:

Code:
    /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl -M | grep -i mpm

3. DarkSoroush

DarkSoroush Member

Hi Tristan. Thanks for fast response.

I didn't compiled apache but it seems that i have "mpm_worker_module". So if i cant use DSO with MPM so i need to keep fcgi, Isn't it?! But which one is faster?! fcgi + MPM or DSO?!

Here is output of command:

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    DSO is fastest. You can use an MPM with DSO, but you have to use Prefork if you want to use an MPM with it. You'd have to recompile EasyApache with MPM Prefork instead of MPM Worker for DSO to be available as I said above. You can recompile using WHM > EasyApache (Apache Update) or via shell using /scripts/easyapache command.

5. DarkSoroush

DarkSoroush Member

Hi Tristan.

tnx again. I will test it tonight in low traffic times.

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Great to hear

7. DarkSoroush

DarkSoroush Member

Ok, I recompiled Apache using PreFork and now i have dso handler! and it is a lot faster than fcgi,

But now i have a problem with xCache!! I get unusual errors in website after 6-12 hours of working. Errors are not the same. But all will solve after clearing xCache caches from xcache admin panel! And again happen after some hours or half a day.

Any idea why?!

After recompiling it seems that easy apache installed xCache 1.3.2 (latest version). I used 1.2.1 before without problem! Could this make problem?!

tnx

8. DarkSoroush

DarkSoroush Member

Also my php version is 5.2.17 (Cuz of joomla 1.5. Didn't support php 5.3 officially.)

9. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What are the specific errors occurring when this happens? Unusual type of errors is unfortunately not specific enough to have an idea of what it might be. Even if the errors are differing, we would need the exact errors you get at some of the times it occurs.

10. DarkSoroush

DarkSoroush Member

Some times it get me only a white screen. Sometimes errors like argument is not an array (for "for each"). etc. Seems like some sort of data corruption!!

Any way after a full 24hour running i don't have any problem yet! (I changed xCache settings based on default values and some config file in internet)

I will update you if any error appears again.

tnx