The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No NDR's being generated

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by rocksolidhq, Nov 18, 2011.

1. rocksolidhq

rocksolidhq Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hey,

We had planned on rolling our new cPanel server into production this weekend but just noticed that it is not generating NDR's for messages sent to non-existent e-mail accounts/aliases.

Is this a config option that is shut off?

The messages are not in the queue but i can see them arrive in the exim log. i have already reset the exim config to default settings but still the problem persists.

What could be the problem?

thanks,
    dean

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to clarify for anyone who might not know what NDR is, it stands for non-delivery report when an email fails. As such, you mean that bounces aren't arriving back to your machine when emails are sent out to non-existing domains or accounts even though you can see the bounce messages come back via the exim log?

Can you please provide an exigrep on one of the bounces so we can see the results?

Code:
    exigrep nonexisting@domain.com /var/log/exim_mainlog
    The bounced messages won't be in the queue if the sender received the bounced message, since it would deliver to the sender of the failed message.

3. rocksolidhq

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Actually, no what i mean is that if a message is received by our cPanel server but the recipient does not exist, say they misspelt the alias frank@domain.com as frunk@domain.com. The sender is not notified that the message has not been delivered.

does that help? i get the impression that this may be disabled as a security measure but want to confirm it.

I am also doing some additional testing and would like to enable NDR's (perhaps temporarily if my security assumption is correct). How would i do that?

thanks,
    dean

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    In this accounts cPanel, what is the Default Email address set to? You'll find the icon called Default Address in the Mail section of cPanel.

5. rocksolidhq

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Brilliant! Not so much "what is the Default Email address set to" but how do you have this configured.

Mine was set to forward to the system account. I've changed it to send the NDR.

Is preventing the NDR's considered a security measure to keep spammers at bay?

thanks so much,
    dean

6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It is considered less server intensive if you use :fail: and bounce the message as it then doesn't have to be processed. It is probably more secure to blackhole the message so a spammer doesn't know it was bounced, but most spammers aren't even going to use their real address anyway.