The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No NS A records at nameservers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bogdan2003, Mar 12, 2006.

1. bogdan2003

bogdan2003 Registered

Hello,

I am having a strange problem I think, if I do a dnsreport on my main domain that has the nameservers configured it says that there is "No NS A records at nameservers"
    I checked and I do have A records for each nameserver.
    What can it be?

Thanks.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

It's possible that this is due to a problem wtih the servers dnsreport.com use for lookups.

At present a large number of domains I host are failing on dnsreport.com and are giving the exact same errors. I've been checking everything for the past 24 hours and can find nothing wrong.

The thing that tells me that dnsreport.com is wrong is the fact that my apache status shows a continuous flow or request for domains that dnsreport.com believes aren't working.

I'm also finding that my home broadband supplier's DNS servers are failing to return records for a number of domains I host, which is what I initially drew the issue to my attention and how I came to notice the issues reported by dnsreport.com. After changing the DNS servers in the properties of my broadband connection I'm having no issues.

Perhaps some global dns error has happened - who knows? With the DNS servers dnsreport.com uses and my home broadband DNS servers going haywire, perhaps something more important happened.

You should notice that the domains for which the error is reported on dnsreport.com work fine when checked with dnsstuff.com and checkdns.net. Take a peek also at your apache status page and confirm that requests are still coming in fine for the domains in question.

3. mikelegg

mikelegg Well-Known Member

I had this problem with one domain which was for a reseller using his own domain name for his name servers.

The nameservers seemed to work intermittantly, which we put down to normal dns replication issues.

After a few days I had a closer look and discovered that I'd failed to put a . at the end of the nameserver A records.

I fixed this and within an hour the DNS Report error was fixed.

What surprised us was that the namerservers worked at all with the missing dot.
    It must depend on the OS or DNS software version that the referring DNS uses, some must be able to cope without the dot while others can't.