No response from subprocess (whostmgr (cpanel)) with exit signal: 2

TheVisitors

Mar 19, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Internal Server Error

No response from subprocess (whostmgr (cpanel)) with exit signal: 2

cpsrvd/11.36.0.9 Server at ***.***.***.***

OK, I'm on trial license of cPanel WHM. And before purchasing it, I'd need to know I can get it working (which I hope is understandable)

Normally I'm use to Debian Linux with Direct Admin or simply apt-get install packages. So CentOS (6.3) is overall new to me and installing & managing cPanel is a whole new world.

So please be a little gentle from someone who is normally a Microsoft Windows user who typically plays with Ubuntu or Debian.

I got the above error when using the "Restore a Full Backup/cpmove file". I made a complete backup from my old host, downloaded it, uploaded it to /home/ and am simply trying to restore it. I would have thought this wouldn't have been hard, but the error above suggest otherwise.

TheVisitors

Mar 19, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
^^ Ignore the log above. I formated and re-installed from scratch.

Still getting this error though. :(

The only thing found in

/usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log

Building global cache for cpanel...Done

TheVisitors

Mar 19, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Building global cache for cpanel...Done
Invalid user passed to restorecpmove: at /usr/local/cpanel/Whostmgr/Transfers.pm line 64
Internal Server Error: "GET /cpsess4637468671/scripts5/quickrestore?user=&replaceip=all HTTP/1.1" 500 No response from subprocess (whostmgr (cpanel)) with exit signal: 2

^^ After doing a reboot and trying again ^^

TheVisitors

Mar 19, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I was one of those unlucky people who got hacked after opening a support ticket with cPanel (for those of you who got that e-mail notice)

You are receiving this email because you have opened a ticket with our support staff in the last 6 months. cPanel, Inc. has discovered that one of the servers we utilize in the technical support department has been compromised. While we do not know if your machine is affected, you should change your root level password if you are not already using ssh keys. If you are using an unprivileged account with "sudo" or "su" for root logins, we recommend you change the account password. Even if you are using ssh keys we still recommend rotating keys on a regular basis.

As we do not know the exact nature of this compromise we are asking for customers to take immediate action on their own servers. cPanel's security team is continuing to investigate the nature of this security issue.
So I did a complete format and re-installed.

Running into this error again

Capture.PNG

But a little hesitant in opening a ticket again :eek:

Anyone know the cause or solution to the above?
I'd like to see if I can get a working copy of cPanel before my trial copy ends

TheVisitors

Mar 19, 2012
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
SOLVED

So cPanel seems to require 1 step I kept skipping, because it didn't seem logical to me.

There is this little box which says something along the lines of

"Enter the username for the account you wish to restore:"

I assume that since restoring would recover the user name and since I had no accounts made yet to import into... Entering a user name wouldn't make much sense. This is after all the whole point of recovering a full cpanel backup... ie... To automatically do the above from the archive.

Oh well .... It's not exactly intuitive. But entering the "user name" solved my issue. :)

Last edited: