The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No STABLE tree releases?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trparky, Jan 10, 2004.

1. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Why hasn't there been a STABLE release in oh... 3 or 4 months? What is going on here?

Quit adding features! Fix bugs! All the features in the world doesn't amount to a hill of beans when all of them have bugs in them!

2. jmc67

jmc67 Well-Known Member

I was about to ask the same question. I see Release 60 8.5.5 but no stable.

Last one:
    STABLE
    8.5.3-STABLE_3
    (Tue Oct 14 09:11:53 2003)

:eek:

3. Devil Inside

Devil Inside Well-Known Member

I manually updated to a stable release tree and got 8.5.5 Release 60

SO I assume this IS the stable release - but improperly named.

4. cortices

cortices Well-Known Member

I'll second that. No stable release in over 3 months, when there are many known bugs, is unaccceptable. It seems that cPanel just assumes everyone is willing to put their servers on edge or release versions. That is ridiculous.

5. hostproof

hostproof Member

Agreed - I already wondered what's going on...

6. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I haven't noticed any bugs with latest stable - and it's stable, what more can you ask for...

If you want to do upgrades then move to release. I got better things to do...:D

7. cortices

So I guess the 100 or so releases in the edge, beta and release trees consist purely of new features? Come on now. It matters not if you haven't seen them. They are there and cPanel is well aware of their existence.

8. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I actually read the changelog.:eek:

The "100's of releases" have a fair bit to do with Fedora and RHEL and FREEBSD and Pro and....

Stuff I ain't using...

Read the changelog sometime, it's edifying.:D

9. cortices

You somehow managed to agree with what I was saying while attempting to correct me.

It's plainly obvious that a "fair" bit of the releases have to do with RHEL, but that does not in any way negate the fact that a "fair" bit also had to do with fixing bugs.

You should also read the changelog instead of just quickly glancing at it in a vain effort to reinforce your silly little conclusion.

10. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanel has a number of different releases - edge, beta?, release and stable. Each of them has a different release schedule. Edge more often, stable least often and the others in between. If you don't like the schedule for Stable then move to Release.

I said that before, I believe.

Agree with you? Sorry, not at all!

11. cortices

I'm not sure what your point is. If you will review the discussion, you'll see that I never said, nor did I imply, that stable releases should occur more frequently than edge, beta, release, etc. In fact, if you look at my post history, you'll find that this is actually the very first time I've even brought the matter up. That's three months without a peep from me. And this is all ignoring the fact that, until October, stable releases were occurring on a weekly basis.

Now, if we can agree to that much and in an effort to move the discussion forward, what praytell is is an acceptable wait for a stable release, given that there are known bugs? And to present a fair arguement, what is an acceptable wait for a stable release, given no known bugs?

I submit that for the former, three months is far, far too long. A very common practice in the software industry is to merge bug patches into the stable release tree moments after they are produced. So I think days is not out of the question.

For the latter, I'm not as certain. As a customer whos pays quite a bit of money each month, I would like to see some of these newer features in the stable tree sooner rather than later. But as an admin who insists on stability in the stable tree (imagine that), I am willing to wait a bit to ensure that happens. Is three months too long to wait? I'm not sure, but what is? Six months? Twelve?

#11 cortices, Jan 11, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  12. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My point is that I have not encountered any bugs - neither have you (otherwise you wouldn't have been quiet all these months).

Just a quick question - has anyone posting in this thread encountered a bug?

A bug that is never encountered is simply not a bug.

Stable releases every week - no way! Bugs should be ironed out in edge, beta? and release. BTW a lot of those bugs posted in the changelog are bugs in edge - not bugs in stable.

I prefer to run a stable system. If it's stable I don't really care if it's not updated for 12 months or more.

13. cortices

Why do you assume that I've not run into any bugs? Because I don't whine and complain about them on these boards? When I encounter a bug, I either find a workaround (usually) or contact cPanel and work it out with them. Ultimately, noone other than myself is held responsible for any given problem on my server, so I often do whatever it takes to resolve the issue.

But to answer your question directly -- Yes, I have encountered many bugs.

So, do you have any opinions regarding what I mentioned in my previous post?

14. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To answer your question:

Stable must be stable. That's the end of the story. It's the developers job to decide WHEN, not the customers. I appreciate the fact that using cpanel and upgrading cpanel has very few difficulties. I noticed several months back people complaining that there hadn't been a Stable release - so one was released - it wasn't stable and those weekly stable releases happened. Naturally enough people complained that Stable wasn't stable.

You can't have it both ways. If you want to push for more frequent releases move up to Release (third time I've said that). Otherwise wait for the developers to decide it's stable.

I pay "huge amounts of money" for STABILITY not frequent releases. But cpanel catering for those others too - they can move up to Release (deja vue).

Anyway, I AM a developer and I am fixing someone elses code this morning. Busy, busy and unsubscibing.

15. cortices

You are a developer? Good for you. I'm also a developer that has worked on major products you probably use every day. At any rate, I certainly know enough to understand being a developer doesn't mean jack. It doesn't magically entitle you to some divine wisdom on all things technical.

You still haven't managed to answer my question though. Oh well.

Have fun.

16. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Quit arguing people!

All I wanted to know is what is going on at CPanel and why a STABLE release hasn't been released since September of 2003?

I just wanted a simple answer, but noooo, we get this arguing.

17. casek

casek Member

seriously....