The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOC changes IP block. What happens with namebased accounts and trust relationship?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pingo, Sep 26, 2003.

1. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Hope that someone here can help me. The NOC just announced that they stops using Savvis and therefore must change all client IP addresses as they will be using a new IP block henceforth.

My questions are:

I have about 1200 accounts whereof the majority are set up namebased using server IPs affected by this. - Will I have to change IP for each of these accounts manually in WHM or will it change automatically when changing the server IP. Sigh, I can't believe that they did this without notifying us a few weeks in advance.

Also, the servers are in a trust relationship with other servers in other NOCs. The master server will have to change IP. How will this affect slave servers in the other data centers? Will I have to recreate the trust relationship.

Finally, what about SSL certificates. Many users are having them and the servers are having shared ssl certificates installed as well. Will changing IPs for these accounts affect the certificates or can they continue using them.

Hoping for some help here :(

Thanks
    John

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 pingo, Sep 26, 2003
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2003
  2. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

Re: NOC changes IP block. What happens with namebased accounts and trust relationship

My understanding is that the link from ssl to ip numbers is dns based. You will have to change account ip for a lot of them, and for the cases where it doesnt work flawlessly, you will have to edit the dns zones.
    Last I checked, changing the ip of the machine doesn't change dns for zones installed either, you will have to reconfig your machine's ip, then go "change account ip" for probably all the accounts.
    Also, you might have to advise all your resellers who registered domains using nameservers on the block that is no longer used, as the registries will have to be notified.
    Don't forget to update reverse dns for 1200 zones too
    ICK!
    You have my deepest sympathies for having this kind of work thrust upon you with no warning.

3. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Thanks perlchild. So I'll have to do it manually (nutty smiley here). What happens with the slave servers when the server IP of the master server is changed? I suppose I have to change the server IP of the master server first, then go change IPs in the dns zones for all the accounts on this server, then change IP for the next server etc. Wow! That's gonna take some time and will cause quite some downtime.

John

4. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

If you're using the dns master/slave system in cpanel, you can just change the ip of the master server on the slave, provided firewall rules don't block you.
    Just how many people do you have helping you to pull this miracle off?