The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nocsoft?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gadget, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Gadget

Gadget Member

Was the nocsoft forum moved or removed, just wondering in case I missed something.

2. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:e41a43cbda]Was the nocsoft forum moved or removed, just wondering in case I missed something. [/quote:e41a43cbda]

NocSoft really doesn\'t have any assocation with DarkORB and it didn\'t belong here. Since people kept complaining about release times it was reflecting poorly on DarkORB, so we decided to remove the forum and wait for NocSoft to setup their own.

3. Gadget

Gadget Member

Ah ok, that makes sense. I think everyone or at least myself was under the impression that DarkORB or at least yourself were part of the NocSOFT team or project. I think it was stated a long time back that NocSoft was the new cpanel recoded and so we assumed it was being done by the same folks, thanks for clearing things up for us Nick ;) . So does this mean Cpanel will always live on its own?

4. bdraco

bdraco Guest

[quote:bd511ae7cf]Ah ok, that makes sense. I think everyone or at least myself was under the impression that DarkORB or at least yourself were part of the NocSOFT team or project. I think it was stated a long time back that NocSoft was the new cpanel recoded and so we assumed it was being done by the same folks, thanks for clearing things up for us Nick ;) . So does this mean Cpanel will always live on its own? [/quote:bd511ae7cf]

Cpanel is a diffrent product aimed at a diffrent market...

5. Curious Too

Curious Too Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If CPanel is a different product then why is this reference to NOCSoft posted on the site at nocsoft.net?:

Coming Soon: NOCSoft™ & NOCSoft™ Lite
    (Formerly known as DarkOrb™ Cpanel™ 4.0)

6. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

I\'m confused too.

I though it was suppose to be written by the same people as cpanel because of the fact that these people know where they had mistakes and what they could do better and so now they could write a more efficiant control panel from the ground up.

7. Gadget

Gadget Member

Hey Nick,
    Can you tell me who are the programmers for Nocsoft or at least where I could reach one of them? I want to know more about it and what market or what plans they have for it.

Appreciate it :)

8. Domenico

Domenico Well-Known Member

Different Market ?????

How is that? Clients from Burst.net are upgraded for free to Nocsoft when that comes out. It\'s the same market!

Explain please?

9. hedgehog

hedgehog Well-Known Member

You are perfectly correct Gadjet... Sean Rosler (system administrator / sales at burst.net) had already posted a reply stating that the release of NocSoft was to be expected in the last quarter of 2001.

Also, in addition to the reference mentioned earlier about nocsoft\'s web site, lower in the page, I found the following information :

----------
    Coming Soon: NOCSoft™ & NOCSoft™ Lite
    (Formerly known as DarkOrb™ Cpanel™ 4.0)

Release Date: 4th Quarter 2001

NOCSoft™ (formerly known as CPanel™/WebHostManager™) is the only true solution for running servers with resellers and virtual domains. The software provides you with powerful web based interfaces and endless solutions for both the client and owners. Only now can you offer true reseller solutions and not have to give up security to allow resellers to add accounts. Control multiple layers of resellers, as well as large server clusters. Automate your hosting business from initial customer signup to monthly repeat billing & statements. Fully customizable admin & end-user control panel interface html, graphics, & design with built-in skin/theme layering. Automatic nightly security patches and software updates.
    ---------

The funnier part though comes in the Whois Lookup of the domain name, stating the one and only John N. Koston as the admin contact... Just makes me wonder about the post above...

I have been using Cpanel/WHM for several months already and am personnaly satisfied with the product and with the level of support I have received so far. :)

Even though NocSoft was something better that I was expecting eagerly, I am disappointed by the fact that we were mislead into expecting something that was not about to happen rather than sticking to Cpanel. I have always had my reservations about the new product. It was always a few month away from being released (meaning it was always there) and then, on the other hand, no one seemed to be sure about the new features. The \"we are planning to include\" replies were a sign that things were a long way from being ready ...

Whois :
    ------
    Domain Name: NOCSOFT.NET

Administrative Contact:
    Koston, John admin@nocsoft.net
    PO Box #400
    Bloomsburg, PA 17815-0400
    US
    570-784-2491

Technical Contact:
    Administration, System nic@hostnoc.net
    PO Box #400
    Bloomsburg, PA 17815-0400
    US
    570-784-2491
    -------

Once again, to be perfectly honest, CPANEL is among the best software on the internet and the level of support provided with it IS GOOD. I am still perfectly satisfied technically... but on the other hand, an explanation for the HostNoc issue is due.

Nick, could you kindly take the time to post an explanation about this? I am really eager to read your reply.

Hedgehog

10. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

[quote:69ef0409fb]NOCSoft™ (formerly known as CPanel™/WebHostManager™) is the only true solution for running servers with resellers and virtual domains. The software provides you with powerful web based interfaces and endless solutions for both the client and owners. Only now can you offer true reseller solutions and not have to give up security to allow resellers to add accounts. Control multiple layers of resellers, as well as large server clusters. Automate your hosting business from initial customer signup to monthly repeat billing & statements. Fully customizable admin & end-user control panel interface html, graphics, & design with built-in skin/theme layering. Automatic nightly security patches and software updates. [/quote:69ef0409fb]
    If you take a good look at the description for NocSoft you\'ll find that 80% of what it says is already in the current Cpanel 4 software. The only additions are the customer billing and server clustering features.

So essentially, you are using most of NocSoft already. :D

11. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

[quote:ff4eadbb68] If you take a good look at the description for NocSoft you\'ll find that 80% of what it says is already in the current Cpanel 4 software. The only additions are the customer billing and server clustering features.

So essentially, you are using most of NocSoft already. [/quote:ff4eadbb68]

No.... NOCSoft from what i gathered is a complete re-write. No code from cpanel was suppose to be used. They learned alot from the first write of it now i\'m sure they can optomize it and do things better when they messed up the first time. It\'s all about trial and error.

12. hedgehog

hedgehog Well-Known Member

[quote:b4b4687836] No.... NOCSoft from what i gathered is a complete re-write. No code from cpanel was suppose to be used. They learned alot from the first write of it now i\'m sure they can optomize it and do things better when they messed up the first time. It\'s all about trial and error.
    [/quote:b4b4687836]

I do agree. :)

Not to mention the new features below...

[quote:b4b4687836] Automate your hosting business from initial customer signup to monthly repeat billing & statements. Fully customizable admin & end-user control panel interface html, graphics, & design with built-in skin/theme layering. Automatic nightly security patches and software updates.
    [/quote:b4b4687836]

13. Gadget

Gadget Member

[quote:e0ec302e01][quote:e0ec302e01]Was the nocsoft forum moved or removed, just wondering in case I missed something. [/quote:e0ec302e01]

NocSoft really doesn\'t have any assocation with DarkORB and it didn\'t belong here. Since people kept complaining about release times it was reflecting poorly on DarkORB, so we decided to remove the forum and wait for NocSoft to setup their own. [/quote:e0ec302e01]

Hmm, this post by Nick leads one to beleive he is not part of NocSoft when he states [b:e0ec302e01]\"wait for NocSoft to setup their own.\"[/b:e0ec302e01]

Odd. My guess would be that NocSoft didn\'t look like it was going to make it when Nick already made the existing cpanel code. Why start over?

14. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

Sometimes it\'s just best to start over. Come on you guys have to know that. Think about when you where in school, writing a paper or somthing for english and your paper didnt turn out like you wanted. Didnt you ever just start over?

I know that with alot of my old programs i wrote just for fun back when i was learning the language, were log not efficiant and were basically pretty basic. When i went back and looked at them, some of them i just re-wrote, and on alot of them the code decreased by 1/3.

15. Gadget

Gadget Member

I see what you mean, sometimes it is best to start over and given the amount of bugs that appear in cpanel that may be the best idea. I think we are all just very confused by this nocsoft talk which now is getting even more evasive. I mean if its never coming then just tell us that, I dont think its wise to pretend its a whole different group or company if its the same guy or guys that made cpanel. Just be honest, is it even going to be developed and if so then who is involved? We all have to assume its Nicks project since his name is plastered all over the nocsoft site.

16. bdraco

bdraco Guest

Sorry for the confusion. NocSoft is not a DarkORB project. This is what I wanted to clarify. As for those waiting for NocSoft, [b:ad2373fb7e]I[/b:ad2373fb7e] will post a realistic release date sometime in the future. Cleaning up Cpanel and smashing all the bugs with it has been the priority on top of all the other things I have been doing. [b:ad2373fb7e]I[/b:ad2373fb7e] will post a notice about NocSoft when it is close to ready and not before then. There currenly is not reason to rush NocSoft as Cpanel does its job quite well. NocSoft will be ready when it is ready and not before then. [b:ad2373fb7e]I[/b:ad2373fb7e] refuse to let me be released with as many problems as Cpanel did when it was released.

17. Curious Too

Curious Too Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So, to be clear on this, NocSoft is not a DarkOrb project but it will eventually replace CPanel/WHM (per nocsoft.net):

\"NOCSoft™ (formerly known as CPanel™/WebHostManager™) is the only true solution for running servers with resellers and virtual domains.\"

????????????

18. DrChaos

DrChaos Active Member

[quote:145dccc481]
    NocSoft will be ready when it is ready and not before then. I refuse to let me be released with as many problems as Cpanel did when it was released.
    [/quote:145dccc481]

Thank you for that at least... if I would have seen this thread, I wouldn\'t have posted my vaporware question. At least there won\'t be anymore missed released dates this way. I will wait for it\'s release then.