The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-standard email setup

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Funky Rob, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Funky Rob

Funky Rob Registered

When you set up an email with cPanel, for eaxmple rob@test.com , the usename needed to access the mail server is rob@test.com I would like to set up an email address rob@test.com where the username is just rob.

I assume I need to edit some config files manually but I don't really know where to start. By the way, I have a VPS so I have full root access.

thanks

Rob

2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

There isn't a "real" way to do this. cPanel email accounts are virtual users, therefore the domain is required. The only email address that is a Linux user is the main account; the default address. You could install a webmail script on each domain, and modify it so that the users need not enter a domain.

3. Funky Rob

Funky Rob Registered

Thanks. My client uses POP3 email, not webmail. It's only for one domain I need to do this. What service provides the POP3 access and where are it's config files stored?

thanks

Rob

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

As fwwebs has said, it's not possible to do what you want except if the email account is the same name as the actual cPanel account name, otherwise it has to be somename@domain.com because of the way cPanel allows the use of virtual email addresses.