The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nonstandard port for webmail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by MikeHihn, Apr 16, 2003.

1. MikeHihn

MikeHihn Active Member

Got this from a customer. .... who earlier reported unable to read email at school only (U of WA)

I somewhat understand the port 2095 issue, having searched the forums, but that seems to have nothing to do with Outlook.

----

The tech guy says the reason I can't check my email at school is because you are using a nonstandard port (2095) for email, and web email normally runs off port 80 and 443. I can't check my mail via either Outlook or Webmail. The tech guy wants to know why you chose that port over the standard port. They are currently blocking that port (other services use it for video conferencing, and one person doing a video stream on campus shuts the whole campus internet down), but he is open
    to opening that port up, depending on what else it is used for. He's opened up ports before that were initially blocked.

Or is it possible to run my email off the ports that aren't blocked (80, 443, 20, 21)?

All of this is gobbledygook to me so I am CC'ing him.

---

This customer is my best bird dog, so I'm anxious to keep her happy.

Thanx

2. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

Try installing a 3rd party mail POP3 reader on his/her website. This means they can log into there own website and enter the normal details they would enter in Outlook to access there email....

Let me know how you get on...

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Only webmail uses port 2095

Outlook and other email clients shoul use the standard (pop 110 - smtp 25)

So what's the issue here?

4. SoftmegUK

SoftmegUK Well-Known Member

The inbuilt webmail uses port 2095, put POP3, IMAp and SMTP ports stay the same.
    You need to install you own webmail system on a website and it will work then...

5. Marty

Marty Well-Known Member

I just installed squirrel mail to run as a server wide app, available to my clients to run at http://yourdomain.com/sqmail and this is over port 80. She could install any webmail client she wants, for the most part, and it will work over port 80.