The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob user question - please don't laugh too hard...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alembyc, Feb 11, 2007.

1. alembyc

alembyc Registered

Ok - I'm an artist and graphic person with limited techie skills, trying to set up my first domain.

I've designed (on Dreamweaver) and uploaded (to Yahoo Geocities) at least twenty 'free' websites, for myself and others - all basic stuff with text and images, not much more. I know enough HTML to edit the code in minimal ways (colour, resizing, etc.) I also know that the names of the images and how they are referred to in the HTML 'page' have to match up - right down to the case they are in (can't tell you how many times I've had to change .JPG to .jpg...) and I've never had any trouble with the basic Yahoo File Manager.

Now: I have put a simple placeholder page called, creatively enough, 'index' for my new site, www (dot) alembyc (dot) com. It has a grand total of THREE images - a background, a banner, and a enter sign. All three images were downloaded as well and are sitting right there in the list below the index page itself. However, when I try to view the index page in CPanel, none of my images show up. I checked to make sure the names were the same. Is it possible that the paths to the images aren't fully written out, or is there something equally obvious to you more skilled technicians which you could explain patiently without chortling toooooo loudly? :eek:

Thanks muchly!

2. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I did a quick look in your directory. There is nothing there except the cgi-bin. Did you upload the files to the 'public_html' directory? They need to be there to be seen.

Hope this helps,
    Ron

3. brendanrtg

brendanrtg Well-Known Member

ASSUMING its the basic default setup, your files need to be under:

/home/alembyc/www

Most likely you placed the files under /home/alembyc/ which is where most ftp programs left you with.

Above is just a hypo, as long as you remember your files needs to be under

/www or /public_html, you should eb able to see them when you visit your domain.

4. alembyc

alembyc Registered

Index page is there but doesn't display....

OK - I took Ron's advice and moved them to the public directory. Now when I try to 'view' my site at www.alembyc.com I get the 'index' (behind the scenes) showing the three files, rather than the front page of the site (the welcome graphic with pictures)...

I thought naming my front page (a Dreamweaver file) 'index' would automatically instruct CPanel to display it as the default page for the alembyc site. How do I actually get my designed page to show up? (Brendan, if you explained this and I just didn't understand, sorry!)

And thanks again for not laughing so far, guys! :D

5. sokkerbob

sokkerbob Registered

You need to rename your "index" file to "index.html". Then everything should work

6. alembyc

alembyc Registered

(buries face in hands)

DOH!

I did warn you I was an artsie, not a techie - but you'd think I coulda figured that one out for myself...

(blushes beet-red)

I moved the file as Ron and Brendan suggested... and THEN I renamed the 'index' file to 'index.html' as Sokkerbob informed me....and lo and behold... www.alembyc.com now SHOWS up its front page just as it should! (Of course that's the only page that currently works, but that's cos I haven't d/led anything else...)

Thank you all so much!

Hugs,
    Judith