The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not able to send mail from 3rd party client

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by niteryder, Jul 7, 2004.

1. niteryder

niteryder Member

Greetings,
    I have not been able to send mail from my server using a 3rd party email client like Thunderbird. I can get the mail withouth problems, but I it will not let me send mail. The error from T-birds says that SMTP may be refusing connections. In my mail client, I have the setting checked that says SMTP authentication is required for outgoing emails. Still, nothing.

The strange thing is.. I can send mail from my home computer just fine using Outlook Express, T-Bird, or Mozilla. I have looked at the config on my home clients, and nothing differs.

The server has a firewall, but the needed ports are open. 110 and 25.

Thanks.

2. largolam

largolam Active Member

3. largolam

largolam Active Member

4. chimeraonline

chimeraonline Member

Hello all I have bellsouth DSL and they block outgoing port 25 I have tried msot everything I can find in this forum about sending mail with no help I keep getting retry time not reached.

I can send mail between the domains I am hosting at my site and to my bellsouth account but I can not send anywhere else (hotmail, excite....) I get the retry time not reached for any host.

I also get this from using webmail

I have exim4.34 running on port 25 and 26 I have deleted iptables entries as discussed in a nother discussion.

This is the only thingthat is not working right

System
    Fedora core 1
    CPanel9.4.1
    WHM9.4.0

Thanks for any help

5. chimeraonline

chimeraonline Member

One new bit of info if ai forward all mail through a gateway

send_to_gateway:
    driver = manualroute
    domains = !+local_domains
    transport = remote_smtp
    route_list = * gate.way.host

using my bellsouth smtp it works fine.

6. largolam

largolam Active Member

mail

Er.. Ok, the information I suggested was if your cpanel server was on a real Internet connection, and you were trying to send to it from your workstation that was behind a 'consumer' Internet connection where the ISP was blocking you from contacting your cpanel server on port 25, so you reach it by setting the server up to listen on port 587, then contact the server from your workstation by using port 587, then once the server has it, it can contact servers on the normal SMTP port to deliver it to the recipients mailserver.

From what you are posting now, it sounds like you are trying to run your cpanel server from behind the 'consumer' Internet connection. You cant use port 587 to get around this, becuase servers dont accept 'incoming' mail on port 587, it is only for end users to submit 'outgoing' mail to a server they have an account on for relaying. It is presumed that a server is not blocked from connecting to other servers on the standard ports.

Using the ISP's mail relay is one workaround, but if you are in fact trying to run a webserver from a residential DSL line or cablemodem, I sure wouldnt want to pay you for hosting.

7. steve.deobald

steve.deobald Member

I have a client experiencing this "port 25 is blocked on the ISP end" problem.

Is there any way I can cleanly forward another port on the server to port 25 so he can work around this? (Not a beautiful solution, but he's a smart guy so it won't be a problem.)