The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not able to ssh

Discussion in 'Security' started by startbot, Sep 13, 2015.

1. startbot

startbot Registered

Sep 13, 2015
    cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner

I have a website hosted by cPanel, and I would like to be able to access it through SSH. I have used the cPanel UI to set up a private/public key pair, but when I attempt to SSH into my site the connection times out. I posted this question elsewhere online and they told me that:

That error message means the server to which you are connecting does not reply to SSH connection attempts on port 22. There are three possible reasons for that:

1. You're not running an SSH server on the machine. You'll need to install it to be able to ssh to it.
    2. You are running an SSH server on that machine, but on a nonstandard port. You need to figure out on which port it is running; say it's on port 2222, you then run ssh -p 2222 hostname.
    3. You are running an SSH server on that machine, and it does use the port on which you are trying to connect, but the machine has a firewall that does not allow you to connect to it. You'll need to figure out how to change the firewall, or maybe you need to ssh from a different host to be allowed in.
    If it's (1), how would I do that? If (2), how would I see what port it's on?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

May 20, 2003
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you don't have root access to this server you'll need to speak with your Hosting Provider (cPanel does not host your website) about this. SSH access is not something that most Hosting Providers offer to Website owners.

1) SSH is running on that server already I would think.
    2) & 3), unless you have root access, you won't have access check ports in firewall.