The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not enough disk space to restore backup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Shazam, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Shazam

Shazam Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    In order to restore a backup file, it seems that the amount of free disk space required is three times the backup file size.

My vps has 80GB total space. After installing OS and cpanel, approximately 70-71GB free disk space remains.
    The backup file size is 23.7GB
    3 x 23.7GB = 71.1GB

After uploading the backup file to the vps, on every attempt to restore the backup, the restore fails after all disk space is filled. I either need a little more free disk space or somehow to use a little less disk space when processing the restore.

Is there a way to restore the backup without getting more disk space from my host?
    Perhaps I could temporarily uninstall something in WHM which would free some disk space, and then later re-install it??

2. PenguinInternet

PenguinInternet Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    The space requirements make sense as to restore the backup there must be space on the VPS for the initial backup file, then its extracted version which will be larger due to the lack of compression then. Your site backup is pretty large - there is nothing on a VPS of that size that you can uninstall to free up that much space as bearing in mind that it's probably going to need about 50Gb extracted. Can you not arrange an upgrade of the VPS to accommodate the larger storage requirements?

Alternatively you may be able to temporarily backup and then delete some other sites on the VPS so that your disk space usage reduces enough to allow the other one to be restored. You can then import the backup afterwards with enough space to operate that process.

3. Shazam

Shazam Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    After decompressing the site backup using winrar on my PC, it only shows 23.9GB total which makes sense because it's mostly photo/video which is already compressed.

There are already a few sites on the vps, but they are all tiny and will save very little space by (temporarily) removing them.
    If there are no other options, then I will ask my host to give me a little more disk space.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. Shazam

Shazam Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for your suggestion. I removed 5GB of video and then re-created the backup (tar) file in 7zip.
    Account restore successful !
    Will upload the 5GB manually.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator