The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not enough memory to update apache!!?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by rickelwood, Jun 1, 2008.

1. rickelwood

rickelwood Member

When I go to: WHM > Software > Update Apache I get an error that says
    !! Critical Error (VZ): You are only only allowed to use 199 Megabytes of ram! 256 Megabytes is required. !!

So I have 512mb of ram on a VPS and that is not enough to update a program?? I am still setting up my server so there is no traffic at all.

I'm hoping to be able to try PHP 4 since I'm getting this error when trying to connect to mysql in php:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/sacdigit/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 18

this should be a bug ticket. after creating a brand new install to the latest version or even the stable version you will get that error even when installing something like oscommerce directly from cpanel. It's broken out of the box.

I have been working on this for 2 days strait and I'm going crazy. Any help is greatly appreciated

-Rick
    AIM: djpurpose

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You could run easyapache on a terminal. That should save you some ram

/scripts/easyapache

3. rickelwood

rickelwood Member

that doesn't help at all. I just get the "need more memory" error in terminal :(. Why in the world would it take 256mb to update a program in addition to the 250mb cpanel takes up?

and to think everyone always says that windows is bloated...

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The memory requirement is due to the amount of memory it takes to link the php binary when lots of options are selected (this is something we cannot get around nobody what we do -- unless you don't want php).

Is it actually terminating itself, or is it just warning you?

5. rickelwood

rickelwood Member

It never even tries to start. Just gives the error instantly and stops. It's not like it runs out it just checks how much I have left and will not proceed.

Is there a way to setup virtual memory? why would a host offer a plan with 512 mb if you can't even setup the software. If it requires that much mem to setup then there should be a warning.

I have to think that it was written with no consideration for savings of ram. It could have been written to take less than half the ram. I guarantee I could install it all on winxp with 512mb ram without skipping a beat.

6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Please open a ticket @ https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/

7. rickelwood

rickelwood Member

Sorry if I came across as rude. Ive been working on this for 24hrs without sleep.

I paid the extra money for cpanel even though it takes up so much more memory because it was supposed to be easier. All I wanted was php/sql and mail.

I was pretty frustrated when the latest cpanel came with a broken php/mysql setup. I'm surprised that no one ever tested it. All you have to do in order to replicate the problem is install cpanel and install a php/mysql program (like os commerce) from the cpanel install and presto! Fatal error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect()

If anything maybe you can help fix cpanel. I'm not the first one to have this problem.

8. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    It sounds like something with the install went wrong (perhaps it ran out of memory during the install). You shouldn't have a problem allocating 256M of ram if the machine has 512M of ram. However all I can really do is guess about whats going wrong. Opening a ticket is really the best course of action as it will lead to a much quicker resolution. If you get it in next few minutes, I'll take a look at it before I go to brunch. If not thats ok as well as one of our techs will be happy to resolve the issue.

9. rickelwood

rickelwood Member

i just posted a ticket but it looks like there are almost 30 people ahead of me.

That is the crazy part about the memory. I have 512, cpanel and all the services use about 280-300mb. But to "update apache" whm wants an additional 256 on top of the 300mb it's already using. It never works because I can't get cpanel to take up less memory.

10. Amit Deshmukh

Amit Deshmukh Well-Known Member

disk space

#10 Amit Deshmukh, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  11. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    easyapache rev 4221 will lower the memory requirement on virtuozzo/openvz system. It was never adjusted down for vps optimized.

12. romulob

romulob Active Member
    PartnerNOC

I've faced this issue yesterday. Just restarted the services and cpanel to free up some amount of RAM and then, tried again.

Unfortunately the new cPanel version is requiring a considerable amount of RAM in VPS environment.

13. rickelwood

rickelwood Member

Sorry to bump the thread but I wanted to provide the solution for the sake of search.

Cpanelnick looked into this for me and apparently there was a problem with the mysql install. Mysql failed to compile when the server was provisioned.

He recompiled easyapache with php/mysql support and switched me to a VPS optimized build of cpanel/whm which has cut my ram usage by 100mb! It went from 280-300mb to 180-200mb. Server is nice and fast now even with sql intensive requests.

He is also looking into lowering the requirement to update apache from 256mb to around 100mb for people like me on a VPS.

It took cpanelnick one hour to diagnose, and rebuild everything. Truly amazing work. :D