Not receiving emails after transfer from Squarespace

uniqschip

Registered
May 15, 2020
Athens, Ga
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I recently transferred a site to Squarespace for a client and now he cannot receive emails on his Cpanel email. I followed the instructions in this thread, but I am still having problems. I am attaching my Cpanel and Squarespace records, as well as the error message from the email account I attempted to sent a test.

Thanks so much to anyone that can help!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Looking at this shows you have 4 A records for the domain. Is there a reason for this? The IP it's connecting to for mail seems to be timing out, does your provider give you a specific location that you're supposed to be receiving mail to?

uniqschip

Registered
May 15, 2020
Athens, Ga
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I think I may have misunderstood the thread I referenced in my initial post (here). I have already connected Squarespace with the domain. So does this mean I do not need the additional A records? When I reached out to Squarespace they asked that I contact where the email is hosted to confirm what is needed to receive emails. The IP the email is at is 208.76.80.xx but I am unsure of where I am supposed to have this in the records on Cpanel or Squarespace

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

Normally your domain would only have one A record which resolved to the place where the domain is hosted. With the additional A records your domain could potentially be resolving to any one of them, if they're all valid and point to the site at Squarespace then it's fine.

For mail, you need to change your MX record to reflect where mail is delivered so if that's the cPanel server you'd need to create an a record for mail.domain.tld where DNS for the domain is hosted that points to the IP address of the mail server if that's the 208.76.80.xx IP then it's listed incorrectly in the DNS zone file. Once the A record is created you need to change your MX record for the domain to point to mail.domain.tld so mail is delivered to the right server.

You'll make these changes where DNS for the domain is hosted, you can normally identify this by which nameservers the domain is using.