The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not receiving external emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by level9, Sep 23, 2002.

1. level9

level9 Member

I am not receiving any emails from external servers on the latest build. I CAN receive emails generated internally, like an autoresponder.

External emails are also not showing up in neomail, etc. There are no rejection notices sent back to the external email sender...the email just never gets there.

Any ideas?

2. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

What's in the mail logs? If the mial is making it to the server, but not being delivered for some reason (no space, for instance), it will be noted in the logs.

3. level9

level9 Member

ok, ;maybe this will help. if i use the username the account was setup with, everything works. If I set up NEW emails addresses under cpanel, they do not work at all. (Just discovered this today by the way).

Any thoughts?

4. level9

level9 Member

Ok...this is what I have found. If I set the &default email& to anything OTHER than the account username, no external emails get through.

So, if I create a new email called &webmaster@mydomain.com&, and the username that was originally created under WHM was &username,& then IF I leave the default account in cpanel to &username&...it looks like all emails work. However, if I want to change the default email to &webmaster&...nothing works.

Any thoughts?

5. ecoutez

ecoutez Well-Known Member

Sure, that makes sense. The default address needs to be either a username or an email address. &webmaster& is neither.

- Jason

6. level9

level9 Member

ok, sorry I did not describe it good enough. I assumed and that was not good.

It doesn't work if I select &webmaster@mydomain.com& for my default email. I have created the account for webmaster@mydomain.com, as long as I leave the default account to the original account username, everything is fine. However, if I try to change the default account to ANY new email addy, no email gets through. Is there a configuration I am not doing right?

Thanks again!

7. dandanfireman

dandanfireman Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I believe I am seeing the same issue, let me describe mine and see if we match.

User named bob

If the default mail account is set to send mail to bob...everything is fine.

However, if the default account is either changed to another account or to :fail:

Bob gets no more mail...even if addressed to him.

8. rochen

rochen Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Ok, we have a problem like this...

If mail is sent to the default account, it can be read using NeoMail, Pine etc. - The mail is there, I can see it, it gets to the server fine. However when you come to download it using Outlook, Mail2Web or whatever - somthing not on the server, it claims there is no new mail.