The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Resolving A Entry, Can't USe VPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joeldavis, Sep 9, 2009.

1. joeldavis

joeldavis Registered

I keep getting an ongoing error message that tells me my VPS does not resolve to my IP, even though I can read that the IP is my A Entry. This is the message:

The hostname (server.profitanswers.com) resolves to {the sentence does not complete; it does not say what it resolves to}. It should resolve to 64.191.95.66. Please be sure to correct /etc/hosts as well as the 'A' entry in zone file for the domain.

Some are all of these problems can be caused by
    /etc/resolv.conf being setup incorrectly. Please check this file if you
    believe everything else is correct.

You may be able to
    automatically correct this problem by using the ' Add an A entry for your
    hostname ' under ' Dns Functions ' in your Web Host Manager​

This is what I have done:
    Open Basic cPanel/WHM Setup
    "Main Shared Virtual Host IP" box has correct IP address in it
    "Hostname" has correct hostname, server.profitanswers.com
    "Primary Nameserver" has correct server name, ns1.profitanswers.com
    "Secondary Nameserver" has correct server name, ns2.profitanswers.com

Under Primary and Secondary Nameservers, I have two buttons:
    "Assign IP Address" and "Add an A entry for this nameserver"
    When I click on "Assign IP Address" a pop-up appears and says "Assigning Ip Address for ns1.profitanswers.com" while a striped bar spins continuously. I've let it spin (process) for an hour but it never makes any progress.

When I click on the button "Add an A entry for this nameserver" a pop-up shows a table with with Nameserver as head of one column and the correct nameserver underneath it (ns1.profitanswers.com) and another column with the header Nameserver IP and "NA" written beneath it. When I enter the IP address in the box at the bottom of the pop-up and click "Add Entry" it gives me this response:
    Sorry, a DNS entry for ns1.profitanswers.com already exists

What is going wrong here? I greatly appreciate any help you can give me. I contacted my VPS host and they affirmed the IP is correct. Until I resolve this issue, I can't use my VPS. Thanks in advance.

2. MattCurry

MattCurry Well-Known Member

DNS Not Resolving

Hello,

I am sorry to hear you are having issues, due to the nature and behavior of your issue I beleive the best course of action at this time would be to submit a ticket. You can do this via the link at the bottom of this post. Please let me know if you have any other issues.

Thank you,
    Matthew Curry