The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not resolving domains after change from stable to current

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knipper, May 12, 2004.

1. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

Hey All...

After changing WHM from the stable build to current build, so I could perform the exim security update I have a wierd situation.

I noticed I suddenly could not check POP e-mail so I assumed it was an exim problem. But as I started checking services all appeared to be OK.

I then tried to ping to my server using the domain name. No luck. It was unable to resolve the domain name. But pinging the IP address was fine.

When checking WHM it shows all status green. I retarted bind... but no change. I then tried to goto /scripts/ to run some updates, and I could not get out of my server as it could not resolve where to go.

I ended up rebooting the server, and all was well for a while overnight.

This AM I had the same situation, I noticed I didn't get my root e-mails overnight, so I checked again, and am unable to resolve at all.

I checked my nameservers, resolv.conf, etc. and can not see a reason for this.

It appears bind is running fine, but something unusual is going on, and I am not sure where to start.

Any suggestions, or ideas what to check first?

2. elenlace

elenlace Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm having the same issue in one of my servers, but the thing is I didn't do any updates! I have automatic stable updates and I woke up this morning to 100+ support tickets of customers saying they can't see their sites or check their e-mail.

I'm getting very frustrated with suddenly waking up to problems caused by a faulty cpanel update.

Regards,

elenlace

3. promak

promak Well-Known Member

Please Try this first. Or WHM > "Graceful server reboot "your server

/etc/rc.d/init.d/exim restart
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/cpanel restart
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/chkservd restart
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/bind restart

if you update and you can't get root email , it is because your exim have some error , try to click this command again.

/scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/exim4

after update complete

/etc/rc.d/init.d/exim restart

I think you can receive email again.(remember if you have install mailscanner , check your exim setting first"/etc/exim.conf"

4. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

Hi...

Let me clarify a little more, and let you know current status. Not only can I not POP to get mail... but domains DO NOT resolve either. I.E. if I go to server.myhostname.com is doesn't get found. Same for the single account that is on the server.(Like bind not running)

I can reboot the server, which corrects the problem for a couple hours. Then it returns.

When I am having the problem, I can not go outbound from the server either. When I try to run /scripts/updatenow I get the following:

rsync: getaddrinfo: rsync.cpanel.net 873: Temporary failure in name resolution
    rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(83)

After I restart the server, I can get through no problem.

ANy hints based on the errors above?

5. mgphoto

mgphoto Active Member

Bump

Ditto having the exact same problem. Anyone find a fix?

#5 mgphoto, May 29, 2004
    Last edited: May 29, 2004