The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure how to handle setting up new accounts when needing to maintain email contact

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by praxis, Mar 29, 2005.

1. praxis

praxis Member

So here is the problem... we have a client say

john@johnsdomain.com

and he wants to get set up on our server. so i create him an account for his domain johnsdomain.com

the problem is... i can no longer coorespond with him after setting up his account, until he has switched his dns and email to our server. he can send me email, but when i send back it goes to his box on our server, not the box he is using now.

how do you guys handle this? it is sometimes a few days or weeks between when we set up webspace, and when a complete transfer is actually made.

i could remove the domains from the localhosts file, and then reinsert them later, but this rather tedious to do every time. i'm thinking there has to be a better way? this problem comes up all the time... and then sometimes if i restart a server it puts all the domains back into our localdomains file so i have to go in and manually remove all the ones that shouldn't be there, but sometimes we don't realize it happened and we are just sending email out into a black hole.

thanks.

2. praxis

praxis Member

what i have decided to do is set up the account like this:

johnsdomaintemp.com

and then when he is ready to go, just park johnsdomain.com on top. this just doesn't seem very logical though... any thoughts?

3. RAIS2

RAIS2 Well-Known Member

Not a solution, but a suggestion.

This is one reason why I request my clients OFF-site email address ( IE. john@johnsISP.com )

IMO, having an onsite email contact can cause issues, and by having an offsite email address you can still contact your clients, even if the server is down. Additionally, I include my offsite email address ( Not for a method of support, but a back-up method :D ), so they can contact me, even if the server is down.

4. Damian

Damian Well-Known Member

When emailing new clients why not use your ISP's SMTP server?

5. praxis

praxis Member

thanks for the ideas.