The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if I'm being spoofed or my Mac has been compromised

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by adejesus, Mar 26, 2013.

1. adejesus

adejesus Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    For the past few weeks every so often I receive an email from myself. At first I thought I was hacked but after changing my password 3 or 4 times I started to really look into it. I believe that my email is being spoofed. I did some researched and made sure SpamAssassin was running and it is. I check my email via Apple Mail Client on both my Macbook Pro and iPhone. My questions are is there anyway to stop this? and is there any real concern I should have? Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

2. arunsv84

arunsv84 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you are sure that the mails are not originating from your real email, then unfortunately there is no effective way to prevent this. You can use various means of email authentication like SPF / DKIM / Domainkeys to give remote mail-servers to determine if a (forged)email from you is legit or not. But if the receiving mail server doesn't make use of SPF or other methods to score such mails negatively or reject them, then there is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent spoofing.

Make sure that you do not use the email address in public forums where spammers harvest the email accounts for spoofing/spamming purpose.

Cheers!!!