The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

notifications if WHM backups fail for any reason?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spaceman, Jun 15, 2006.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

If my WHM backups fail for any reason, is there away of getting notified (e.g. via email)?

I've just been through a major hard drive failure where we had to rebuild the server from scratch and restore hosting accounts from backups - except that the last backup was approaching 2 months old. We'd been backing up to an external USB HD, and for some reason (probably following a server restart) the external HD couldn't be found or written to by the WHM backup script, and the first we knew about it was last night. Not good!

'Course, it would be very nice if the WHM backup feature had a 'email this person in the event that backup processing does not complete successfully'...

Any takers?

Thanks.

2. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

It already notifies on successful completion - so not receiving one tells you there was a problem.

3. spaceman

Thanks for the reminder. The only problem in our case was that the notifications of successful completion were being received, but the backup files weren't in fact being written.

That said, of course exception reporting ("alert! backup did not complete successfully!") is typically much more helpful than "everything worked fine" reporting, not least because exception reporting should involve a significantly reduced volume of messages.

4. spaceman

Ah - let me semi-correct myself!

Our backups should have been written to an external USB hard drive. For some reason the external HD stopped being detected, and so backups switched to being written to the main server hard drive. So the "everything is fine" reporting *WAS* correct - backups were being written - just not to the place where they were supposed to be written. Which was particularly bad for when the main server hard drive crashed. :eek:

5. spaceman

Update:

When the WHM backup process completes (assuming it does), then an email gets auto sent to our nominated contact email address with the log file for the backup processing attached. This is all very well, but what if the log file is full of errors (as I noticed one of my is just now)? There's nothing in the subject or the body of the email from the server to indicate that there are errors being reported in the log file.

IMHO this is an issue that needs to be urgently addressed by cPanel. If a simple regex on the log file for the words 'error' or 'no such file or directory' could allow the subject and/or body of the email to draw attention to the fact that all does not look well in the log file.

Comments anyone?