Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Notifications returned to server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nate Reist, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Nate Reist

Nate Reist Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Google is blocking cPanel and WHM notifications as spam. I've added the corresponding addresses to my contacts and have a filter rule for never marking them as spam, but I don't think they are getting to the mailbox to hit those rules at all.

Code:
    This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass
    authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the
    message has been blocked. Please visit
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
    information
    Our current hostname is provided by our hosting company so I don't know that we can make any changes to the current host name DNS to add an SPF record or anything like that. I have tried changing the hostname to something we controlled and tested it without success. I switched it back because I didn't want to effect other mail delivery on the server to other user accounts ( which appear to be working for things like contact forms etc )

Is there a step I could be missing to ensure delivery from these accounts?

2. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

From the error you provided - it looks to me like you want to set up SPF/DKIM and make sure they're properly configured for the sending mail server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Nate Reist

Nate Reist Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks! I figured it was something along those lines although I am not an expert on that. So I've followed this documentation and added an SPF record to the DNS Zone inside of WHM. It doesn't appear to have made a difference, and I wonder if that it will effect public DNS. The server hostname set in WHM is owned by the hosting company and they control the DNS records for that externally from our server. Would those changes even make a difference when Google tries to authenticate the sender?

This is specifically messages from our WHM install notifying of failing processes or other notifications on the server so I am managing these changes through the WHM interface. That domain itself doesn't have a cPanel account inside of WHM as far as I know - I could be wrong though :)

Is it possible I need to change something locally for mail sending / DNS configuration that I may be missing? Do I need to contact the hosting company about the issue? Would I be better off trying to change the hostname to something where I can control the public DNS?

4. bloatedstoat

bloatedstoat Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @Nate Reist
    Have you tried MX Toolbox? They have some useful tools on there that can help diagnose issues related to SPF, DMARC, DNS and so forth

cPanelLauren likes this.
  5. Nate Reist

Nate Reist Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    @bloatedstoat I just tried. As suspected, it looks like that it doesn't have an SPF record, even though I added one in WHM because I don't control the actual DNS records for that domain. I will have to try to find another way to configure it, either with a different host name where I can control the SPF record or by sending the notifications in an alternate way.

6. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @Nate Reist

Your profile says you're a root administrator, with root access you should be able to modify the hostname of the server to whatever you'd like it to be. None the less without a properly configured SPF, DKIM & PTR the mail will most likely continue to be rejected/marked as spam by Gmail. The only solution I can see that would prevent this would be to add the necessary records, change the hostname so you can or stop having them sent to Gmail.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...