The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now how the hell...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ANJon, Jan 27, 2005.

1. ANJon

ANJon BANNED

Hey all me jon. Ive been out of it for sometime because i got laid off from my main job due to downsizing and outsourcing.. (GG GOTA LOVE THIS HORRIBLE AMERICAN SOCIETY) I was also in a serious car accident. I was in a hit and run, got hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light and left me to be airlifted to the hospital. So i have really been out of alot of things lately and let my company be run by my partner mainly but im kickin back and trying to get back up and going here... But my main question is how did these forums turn to such a waste of space? It seems like all the kids from wht and these so called "chat" forums have merged here! These forums were made to support cpanel, support the clients and the company, And most of all provide a decent place for people to come and ask for help. All i see goin on is nothing but advertising for companies, people bashing other people, people getting banned for no reason.. All i have left to ask is WHY!? WHY DOES EVERY BIT OF SPACE ON THE INTERNET FOR COMPANIES LIKE MINE HAVE TO BE OCCUPIED WITH CHILDREN! Is it that the industry is ran by children? What is goin on here people? cant we come together and get a bit of intelligence? Learn to respect others?

Sincerly,
    Jon

2. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Apparently you missed out on some fun. :rolleyes:

Several months ago is when things started changing fast. It started when a "hosting company" started sending their clients here as the first source of support instead of providing support themselves. It got into discussion as to whether or not these forums are for the end users or just for Cpanels customers, hosting providers. Turned out being quite a discussion, but in the end, cpanel said the forums are for anyone, so I suggested a new forum for end user questions which was added. It helps keep things a bit organized, but it doesn't help with the general operation of the forums.

One difference now is that so many end users come here and just ask their question instead of searching first, so many questions are asked over and over again. With the changes is also a much larger number of members now which means more trouble makers. Cpanel has banned a few lately and some of them rejoin under different ID's.

Things are not the same as they used to be.

Too many cheap hosting providers are saving money by sending their customers here for support.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yup. The three biggest problems that I see is: people not using Search (perennial problem) ; idiots that have been banned coming back under new ID's; people not using their own initiative, using search engines, doing a little bit of work first (usually they belong to the first or second group). Ah well :)

4. motoenth

motoenth Member

Finding answers

Don't get too discouraged! There are folks (like me) who DO search and find the answers they need - you just never hear from them 'cause they find the answer and go on. If I think a thread contains the answer I need but don't understand the responses, I dig more - search more - whatever I need to understand a solution. I've been coming to this forum for over a year now and this is only my second post.

And may I confess something? I know I'm on a "legitimate" thread when I see squirrel's or chirpy's avatar! :D If I could just find out how these guys learned sysadmin, I'd be happy. Even just a suggestion on ONE GOOD BOOK! Hint, hint.... ;)

So, even though there are folks who don't view this forum with the reverence that I do, there are methods to seperate the wheat from the chaff.

Also, sorry to hear you've had a crappy year - I hope things turn around quickly for you.

Blair

5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Unfortunatly it is not just this forum. Society in general is getting worse and worse. I call it the "give me everything for nothing" age, the new age where everybody wants everything for free and not give anything back (moneterial or otherwise).

As for the forum, you are right it has gone downhill considerably, but since the cPanel powers that be refuse to put proper moderators in place things probably won't change anytime soon. Many have stopped helping as much as they used to because it was no longer worth the hassles that then came with it in some cases. As squirrel mentioned we also ended up helping customers of other shody hosting companies which is not right.

It is nice though to know that people like you and Blair do exist. :D

6. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Blair,
    The best source on the net ;)

http://oreilly.com

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Books are always a good starting point. For me, I guess it's 17 years systems administrator experience on various platforms. That and the fact I love it, and enjoy the hunt for the answer to a problem and solving it myself.

Formal courses can also help - I find they're best at putting what knowledge you have into a structured context that you can then build on and expand. They're not an end in themselves (i.e. noobie in, sys admin out :)).

8. ANJon

ANJon BANNED

ok sorry for the long delay been out searching for a job :-( But yeh cpanel forums are NOT a HELP FORUM FOR WEBHOSTING. OK if it is a cpanel issue FINE ASK IT THIS COMPANY MADE CPANEL. If you are here for crap like "oh my apache keeps crashing" (noted from several threads on the forums) Then heres a website for you:

http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com

And Blair your right we have alot of knowledge being a systems administrator. And it DOES NOT come easy. It take ALOT of patience and alot of understanding. The job is not meant for everyone thats why people like me and some of these others offer server management solutions through our company for reasonable prices such as 25 a month. There really is nothing to read, Because with the way everything is being upgraded soo fast. There isnt a tutorial left out there published that actualy relates to a common setup for today. The best way to learn it is it play with it. At Home on your own boxes. I have rack setup in my garage of linux servers i used them to learn linux for 5 years and i still use them when i have problems setting things up on my company servers. When i feel like i have a doubt of setting something up. they are test systems for me to screw with in case something goes wrong its on my end i can fix it.thats the only thing i suddgest is you mimic something like that. But remmeber this isnt going to be something that comes in a couple hours of playing with it. Linux, Unix, Bsd, AIX is soo complex that there is not one person on the web that can honestly really say "I KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT IT". Also remember everyone has their weak and strong points.

9. PWSowner

I'm not a full fledged system admin and never claim to be, but every week my knowledge gets deeper. That's one reason why I lease the more expensive servers. Better quality and real technical support when needed.

As far as studying, decide what you want to learn first because if you try to study a little of everything all at once, you'll end up with a mess in your head. LOL

Do you want to understand the servers OS first, or the web server system, the mail system, the internet communication system? Pick one and study just that one at least until you understand the basics. I suggest learning the basics of a few things, then go into more detail.

You can find used copies of books fairly cheap at Amazon. Most of the ones I have came from there used.

10. PWSowner

Like Jon said, it is hard to go into depth with books because things do change, but they are a good starting point to learn the basics.

11. motoenth

motoenth Member

Playing with Linux

Amen, David...couldn't have said it better myself. (By the way - I knew I'd forget someone when I mentioned seeing particular avatars on a "legitimate" thread... sorry to forget about YOU! I'm sure I've missed others as well :eek: )

I've got that one bookmarked ;) Here's my favorite http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/

Confucious say "Journey of a thousand miles begins with first step" :D

I've got my 5 year old Dell poised and ready. Now, I'm just trying to figure out which distribution to go with. I wanna get Linux installed - along with cPanel and WHM so I can "wallow around in it" without getting white knuckles.

Could you fine fellows suggest a distribution and also confirm that my hardware will work? I don't have any specs on it as it hasn't been used for months. It was shipped with Win98 but I installed Win2000 Pro on it a couple of years later.

THANKS MILLIONS, GUYS!!

Blair

12. ANJon

ANJon BANNED

go with fedora/redhat or if u want to get ballsy go to slackware and stuff. I suddgest fedora, install it WITHOUT graphical desktop, and dont install cpanel/whm on it, learn to basics first. then install cpanel and whm. problem with cpanel and whm is people install it to learn and they only learn the software so they dont know how to use linux its self. Only know how to use cpanel

13. motoenth

motoenth Member

Thanks, ANJon - that's 1 vote for Fedora :D

Reminds me of long ago when I was trying to build sites with Frontpage without knowing html! Learning html helped me with Frontpage...so much so that I don't use it anymore :D

Blair

14. ANJon

ANJon BANNED

exactly... dont be afraid to ask questions but make sure you take the initiative to try and solve them first. dont just get stuck at adding a user command and decide omg im gonna go post a thread about this. feel free to msg me on aim at jmickle05 il be glad to help you out if you are willing to learn and take initiative to research things on your own