The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NS TTL discrepancy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brianc, Feb 29, 2004.

1. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Hi All:

I started using the new DNS clustering function in WHM and started having intermittent DNS issues. I went to dnsreport.com and I received the following error message:

Warning: Your NS records at your authoritative DNS servers have TTLs that do not match what the parent servers report:

ns1.domain.com. [TTL 172800 at parent; 14400 at 111.44.236.66]ns2.domain.com. [TTL 172800 at parent; 14400 at 111.44.236.66]

First question that I have is what does DNSreport.com mean by parent servers? Is the parent server the actual server that is acting as the primary DNS server?

If it is then I am really stumped because I simply do not know where the TTL 172800 is coming from.

I am not saying the clustering feature is the cause of this problem but the dns issues did start happening around the same time (less than a week ago). Please be advise the ip address above is not real.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

brianc

2. mr.wonderful

mr.wonderful BANNED

Why dont you sumit a ticket?

3. Ali

Ali Well-Known Member

I'm facing the same issue.

brianc, please post the cPanel response you get if you've opened a ticket for this issue.

4. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Mr. Wonderful:

Because an answer to the problem on a public message board would benefit all who come across this issue.

Now if you have something to offer in the way of assistance then please post but if not then please don't.

brianc

5. LordJMann

LordJMann Well-Known Member

Facing the same issue as well....

6. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

No one has an answer?

This must be one of those questions that has an obvious answer because no one is answering. Not even a search on Google is of any help.

Could someone PLEASE shed some light on this issue?

Thanks.

BrianC

7. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Found out the answer!

I contacted Scott of DNSReport.com and here is his reply:

In other words unless you manually modifed your named records for your domain name to have its ttl match those at the parent servers, you will always get this message. The majority of domains out there do not including dnsreport.com. So the NS TTL discrepancy warning is pretty safe to ignore in my opinion, though I shall not be held liable if you decide to ignore the warning. Proceed at your own risk.

Hope that helps!

Brianc