The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NS1 NS2 & Web on a single cPanel server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ver17, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Ver17

Ver17 Active Member

OK, I'm somewhat new but still learning.....

I have searched these forums extensively but have not found a true place to start......

I am going to be setting up a single Linux machine that will run cPanel. I am going to be setting up my primary DNS, the secondary DNS and my website all on the same machine. The problem is I am missing some pieces of knowledge and understanding on exactly how I can do this..... not how do I technically do this..... more an overall understanding and a few cPanel concepts.

My question is, can anyone direct me on where to start? Links? Guides? Basics....

These forums are full of knowledge but I need to take a step back and answer questions like: Do I use DNS clustering on a single server or is that only for multiple machinse? Do I just setup multiple cPanel accounts, one for each DNS server? Do I setup DNS not inside cPanel but in Linux itself? And even more basic questions like where do I register my DNS servers to the net?

I would be willing to pay someone or a company for a brief "question & answer tutorial" on AIM or voice....

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

Welcome ver17..

Last question is easy... You register your Nameservers (ns1.youdomain.com, ns2.yourdomain.com) at an iCANN registrar or the place you used to buy your domain. Examples would be namecheap.com - register.com - enom.com those can create your nameservers...

DNS Clustering is for multiple machines only - can be used to basically CLONE a server, in that regard when you create an account on server 1 the exact account is also created on server2. this way if server 1 is down and out server2 will pickup the slack and start working. Or you can use dns clustering as a backup source.

When you do the initial setup it will remember what your primary ns and ips are for those ns's. So when an account is created it is auto created with the ns and base ips the system works off of. So no additional setup is needed DNS wise.. Once you register the domain you assign it the same ns you have setup and registered to use. and within 12-24hours the domain is up and running - no additional configurations are needed.

I think your leaning to much into DNS - DNS is just a tool designed to get the website pointing to the right place - thats where your nameservers come in.. That ultimately tells the the internet where to look for this website. AS long as your nameservers are setup on YOUR computer and the account is a valid one on YOUR server it will display the website.

4. Ver17

Ver17 Active Member

Great replies! Thanks! Thats exactly what I was looking for!

5. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

if you need further help my AIM screen name is Icanect C

6. Mani

Mani Well-Known Member

7. preleaf

preleaf Well-Known Member

thanks ,I also need this problem .thanks icanectc,sawbuck .Thank you so much!

8. Ver17

Ver17 Active Member

Ahhhh..... between Google and forum searches, I love the modern day information age, you can find almost anything :)

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Do be aware of the implications of doing this, though. They can be ugly.

If you have DNS only on your own server (using 2 different IP addresses) then you can suffer the following:

1. If the server goes down, anyone trying to visit websites will get a DNS failure the same as if the domain does not exist. If you had 2 separate DNS servers (as you should) then browsers generally return a temporary unavailable message.

2. More importantly, if the server goes down, then MX records do not resolve and any email sent to you will not be queued on the senders server, it will bounce with an error. If you had 2 separate DNS servers, the MX will resolve, and the senders server will usually queue the email for up to 4 days retrying to deliver the email. When your server comes back up, the email will be delivered.

If you're running a server for web hosting it realy is essential that you have two separate DNS servers (apart from the fact that it is required by the RFC's).

You should also always have the two DNS servers on different networks for redundancy - this means having one with a different provider to SM incase their network should go down.

If email delivery and visitors believeing that your site no longer ecxists, is not important to you, then go ahead and use DNS on one server alone :shock: