The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number of accounts on one machine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ronowicker, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ronowicker

ronowicker Member

Is there a rule of thumb as to how many web accounts you have on one linux machine before you think about setting up a second one?

I understand disk space, processing utilization and all that good stuff, I was just wondering if there's a point where it makes sense to add an additional machine.

I currently have 126 accounts. I would say about less than 20 really have a lot of traffic and the rest are very minimal. I'm just thinking more along the lines of what the OS can handle. I'm no linux whiz and was hoping one of you could help me answer this question.

Thanks in advance!
    Ron

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

This is really a question only you can answer. There is no set limit. It all depends on the hardware in use, operating system and the type of sites you host. You need to keep in mind the potential growth of some clients and their requirements. You don't want to have to switch them to a new server if they start using a bit more resources than they currently are. They should be able to grow in their current server for while at least. So, you need to leave room, but its not so easy to say when is when. You just need to monitor your boxes and get to know them.

3. ronowicker

ronowicker Member

Cool Thanks!

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if there was a certain max number you should never go over. So if I had a million websites that used a little bit of space and a littel bit of resources, then it would be fine.

Thanks again.