Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Number of certificates issued on AutoSSL

Discussion in 'Security' started by Miguel G, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Miguel G

Miguel G Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hi!

Some users say that they might need let´s encrypt to be able to integrate podcasts on their sites (not sure why). I am currently using AutoSSL with Comodo and I have seen that let´s encrypt have several rate limits lower than Comodo certificates. Especially only 20 certificates can be issued per week and only 100 certificates (monthly? or in total?).

I have 40 cpanel users, not all have SSL certificates but I expect they gradually move to SSL. I don´t know how many of them have addon or parked domains.

So, how do I know if I can migrate to Let´s encrypt? Where do I get the number of certificates that are currently being issued? Just to avoid issues.

Also, the SSL certificates for services will be issued by Comodo or Let´s encrypt?

Thanks!

Miguel

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

1. The following document is a good place to start to understand how the server handles domain names and Virual Hosts:

How Your Server Handles Domains and Virtual Hosts - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Once you review this document, browse over to:

Manage AutoSSL - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

The "Domain and rate limits" section explains the current limitations. You should not encounter any issues with limitations on Let's Encrypt certificates based on the information you provided, unless one of those cPanel accounts includes a very high number of aliases (Parked Domains) or subdomains. With Let's Encrypt, there is a maximum of 20 certificates issued per week that contain a domain or its subdomains. If you include subdomains of a domain on more than 20 certificates, Let's Encrypt will issue those during the next window, up to the limit for that week.

2. To switch an account to Let's Encrypt, you'd need to configure Let's Encrypt as your default provider using the instructions at:

The Let's Encrypt Plugin - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Then, you'd need to delete the existing SSL certificates for the domain names so that AutoSSL issues new ones from Let's Encrypt.

3. We don't provide a feature that lists how many domain names are remaining on each certificate, but you can use commands like the ones referenced on the following thread to find that information:

SOLVED - What file contains a list of usernames and the main account domain?

4. The service SSL certificates for the server's hostname is signed through Comodo. It's not possible to utilize Let's Encrypt for the hostname certificate at this time, unless you manually setup and requested a certificate through Let's Encrypt.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Miguel G

Miguel G Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Thanks for answering! Answer 4 means that If I switch to let´s encrypt instead of Comodo, my certificates for my services will not be renewed by Comodo certificates?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

No, even if you switch to Let's Encrypt as your AutoSSL provider, we'll still automatically issue a certificate for the server's hostname through Comodo. It's handled separately from the AutoSSL feature in WHM.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...