The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Number of Domain / Website per cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bulewold, Feb 16, 2015.

1. bulewold

bulewold Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So... I recently made move from shared hosting to VPS. As most of you know at shared hosting, you only get one cPanel so you automatically host multiple sites on that.

in VPS, however, you can create as many cPanel as you want and you can have single or 1,000 websites per cPanel.

What's the standard if any, or recommendation in this? And by making let say 20 cPanel for 20 sites would make things slower since cPanel itself also use resource??? Or that's not how it works?

Do you recommend 1 site per cPanel? 3 per? Or just one to manage them all in one?

Let me know what your thoughts are and reason behind it please!
    Thank you!

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Typically your system will be limited by the needs of the applications, or websites, you are hosting, not by the cPanel & WHM software.

Without knowing the specs of your VPS it is hard to give specific guidance or recommendations.

3. GrandAdmiral

GrandAdmiral Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    By design cPanel is optimised for hosting many hundreds of sites on a single server so I can't imagine there would be a significant additional overhead for multiple cPanels vs a single cPanel. Off the top of my head I can think of a few advantages to multiple panels:
    -Isolation between sites for security in the event one is compromised
    -Since resource limits are applied on a per user basis for disk space, bandwidth or CPU/RAM (on Cloudlinux), a shared panel could be overwhelmed by a single defective site.
    -If a client wanted access to the site you could simply provide them the username password for their individual cPanel. Otherwise you would need to do a manual transfer of all their sites to a new user for optimal security

4. bulewold

bulewold Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    GrandAdmiral, I do see the isolation being benefit if one site is poorly managed and have malware. Kenneth, I'm not looking for limits, more of what people generally do? or What's the best practice?

I'm currently leaning toward group system where each Cpanel will include 3~5 websites each. So I can kinda manage them in a group.

But I'm curious to see what other people are doing?

OH, and my VPS support told me that number of cPanel should not effect performance at all.

5. bulewold

bulewold Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    FYI, I got 2g, 10CPU VPS. But only have about 10 websites, mostly WP.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I don't think there's one specific method that all web hosting providers use. Often times, new accounts are added until the server can no longer handle the usage, at which time some accounts are migrated over to a new server.

Thank you.

7. bulewold

bulewold Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I was just curious of what other people did. I think I'm going with groups of 3 or so. :)