Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Number of Imap connections ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Dec 8, 2010.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Over the past few days we have been getting some messages from one server about imap being down:

"imap failed @ Wed Dec 8 21:14:04 2010. A restart was attempted automagically.
    Service Check Method: [tcp connect]

Failure Reason: Timeout while trying to get data from service"

When I go to the maillog at the time mentioned I see that there are tons of "disconnected by shutdown during signal" messages.

I have a feeling that imap isnt really down but the checker is not able to get a login or something and it thinks IMAP is down and resets the whole thing.

Is there a way to interrogate IMAP or the server to see how many current connections there are or something?. I raised the max connections from 55 to 65 and auth demons from 7 to 9 to see if it helps but not sure if thats the problem.

Anybody know anything about this kind of problem and if there is a way to check other than just telnet to the imap or putting up a pinger?.

Also why are there often several imap tasks per person?. For instance I see one user with five, does this mean he has five connections?

root@xxxxx [/var/log]# ps ax| grep "evan"
    7407 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home2/evanw/mail/xxxx.com/evan
    7989 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home2/evanw/mail/xxxx.com/evan
    7998 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home2/evanw/mail/xxxx.com/evan
    10784 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home2/evanw/mail/xxxx.com/evan
    16098 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/courier-imap/bin/imapd /home2/evanw/mail/xxxx.com/evan
    17627 pts/0 R+ 0:00 grep evan
    root@xxxxx [/var/log]#

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 nyjimbo, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010