The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O/S choice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Schmohey, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Schmohey

Schmohey Member

I was reading this forum, and still can't decide which O/S to use so its more compatible with cPanel. Should I use Debian or CentOS or maybe RedHat?

How's Centos and RedHat? I never used them before...

2. kaosent

kaosent Active Member

Is that all?

Most of the primary OS's you see discussed in this forum are pretty much equally well compatible w/ cpanel. CentOS, RedHat, FreeBSD, etc. Where the OS's differ, is in usability, inherent security, and updatability. Surely you are interested in more than just compatibity? What else are you looking for in an OS? What OS do you have experience with? I am sure that those other aspects will help you decide, especially since I have heard no (serious) negative comments about either of those three, and the CPanel Developers have done a phenominal job at establishing compatibility with each of the OS's listed on the home page.

I am a die-hard FreeBSD user myself, but I chose that based upon a variety of reasons other than the hosting control panel. (actually, I ended up choosing CPanel because IT was compatible w/ FreeBSD :) ). So, what are you looking for in an OS?

3. Schmohey

Schmohey Member

I'm looking for easy updates, like in Debian. With a few command, you can update your whole system, or even get packages. But I heard that Debian is not compatible with cPanel because its still in beta?

4. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Pretty much any Linux is easy to update these days. We have been testing out Trustix lately and like it quite a bit. It is a little bit more like Unix than Linux in its administration, but I like that part. It is more secure out of the box than pretty much any other platform Cpanel supports.

5. Schmohey

Schmohey Member

Is it true that CentOS = RedHat?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can find out things like that yourself. Go to the centos.org site and read their documenation for an explanation (or search the forums as suitable OS's for cPanel has been discussed many times over).