The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obtaining logs through WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shoptalk, Nov 29, 2012.

1. shoptalk

shoptalk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere on the forum (I'm sure it must have been asked somewhere) but I haven't been able to find the answer after searching this forum or general Googling.

I'm a front-end designer/developer with limited experience or knowledge of Linux servers. However, I manage a number of websites through WHM 11.34.0. When things are running well, it's great and I don't need to get involved too much. Recently though I've had some intermittent downtime on the server and I'm trying to establish the reason. It seems the first place I should look is the logs but... I don't seem to be able to find error logs on WHM at all. I can go into each account and get their error logs but that's not what I'm looking for.

My host's technical team are helpful enough but ultimately I think I need to understand more myself. I am seeing really high server loads, 80+, at the quietest times, e.g. 3am, whereas during the busy times in the middle of the day loads are down at less than 0.5. I'd really like to know what's behind the peaks in the middle of the night. I'm not running backups then or any other tasks that I'm aware of.

So, could anyone help or give me a nudge in the right direction? Where can I find WHM logs and which logs should I be looking at?

Many thanks.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You might get some clues quick and easy here in your WHM:
    Home » Server Status » Daily Process Log
    At top of that page are dates that can be clicked to go back and look at other days

A few more recommended nudges to help you out. :)
    Have you ever wondered, "Where's the Apache error log?" - cPanel Forums
    Here's a link to a closed thread (with a link) to get a nice handy WHM Log Viewer - cPanel Forums
    While you're at it, you might like this as well: ConfigServer Explorer (cse)

3. shoptalk

shoptalk Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Brilliant. That's really helpful. Thank you.