The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obtaining POP3 passwords (running cppop)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtindor, Jan 16, 2007.

1. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Got a system running cppop (old mbox system I'm wanting to convert to maildir). Because some users have elected to never set up email addresses but use the 'default' mail account (which they log into using only a username and not a password), I think I need to get new mailboxes created for these people and copy their contents over and have them start popping using the whole email address instead of just the username.

In order for me to do this without having to ask each and every affected customer what their password is, I need to gather their passwords.

I am thinking there has to be some way to turn on a 'debug' (like you can if you were using Courier) to have /var/log/maillog show the passwords that the users used when they pop'd their mailboxes.

Is there a way to get cppop to provide the passwords in the log file?

Thanks

M

2. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    besides my belief that an admin never needs to know a user's password (and shouldn't know it), I think your request is unnecessary.

If you are going to make them use their full email address as their POP, you are still going to have to notify them about changes on their end.

Also, I thought the mbox conversion takes care of the 'default' account. I didn't have any problems.

3. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Correct. I thought I had read something contradictory in the forums a while back... I received clarification today from the Cpanel folks that the default accounts are handled and still functional afterwards.

Mike