The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Exim4 Error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Curious Too, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Curious Too

Curious Too Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Occasionally a user who has had no problems sending/recieving email will suddenly start generating this error message in the exim log:

sender verify fail for <user@domain.com>: Unrouteable address

or

sender verify fail for <user@domain.com>: Unrouteable domain

For example, a user who had been sending/recieving successfully today began having problems at about 2:00 p.m. and began generating the first error message I listed above.

The only way to fix it is to downgrade to Exim 3 and then upgrade to Exim 4.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas what's causing this?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. netwrkr

netwrkr Well-Known Member

Try searching for "Unrouteable domain" -- amazing huh?

TP

3. AlaskanWolf

AlaskanWolf Well-Known Member

netwrkr, your not to high on the food chain to be posting smart-a** comments.

If you want to help him, help him, but dont add smart a** remarks to your posts.

4. netwrkr

I am not sure what you mean "to" high on the food chain -- do you mean to say "too" high on the food chain?

What is this food chain anyways? Just because you have more posts than I? Get a life -- who cares? If you don't like what I write then don't read it.

People are quick to post questions and slow to search for the answer. That was my point that you obviously missed.

#4 netwrkr, Jul 8, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2003
  5. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

Netwrkr, I think AlaskanWolf is saying you should not be sarcastic with someone who has posted ten times more than yourself. OK, you may be more experienced than all of us, but your stats don't say that (yet).

FYI: I experience a similar problem to that of Curious Too. So I first did a search on this forum (as I always do) for "Unrouteable domain". And you know what? I found many discussions, but absolutely no solutions pertaining to the specific problem.

Netwrkr, I assume you have done the search you suggest yourself, so would you please give us some pointers to solve the problem...

#5 Stefaans, Jul 8, 2003
  6. Curious Too

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The answer is not on the board, that's why I posted. No one else had posted the specific problem I was having.

7. netwrkr

Originally posted by Stefaans

Netwrkr, I assume you have done the search you suggest yourself, so would you please give us some pointers to solve the problem...

The issue is this -- if you do not have php suexec installed -and- have 'prevent nobody from sending out email' cPanel does not allow email to go out, instead throwing up the cryptic 'unroteable domain' error.

To fix it you can do one of two things:

1. install phpsuexec which (in my own terms) setuid's the owner of the person running the php script ie. user 'joe1' is running a php script, that php script is executed as the user 'joe1' which is permissible. You would also leave the 'prevent nobody' turned on.

2. option 2 is to not install phpsuexec and turn off the 'prevent nobody' within whm.

Here is the actual text from the cPanel developers which may clear things up:

Unroutable Mail Domain Error:
    If you are seeing this error when sending mail from php scripts you should disable the 'Prevent the user 'nobody' from sending out mail to remote addresses' option in tweak settings. Unless you have installed phpsuexec all php scripts will run as the user 'nobody'. Please note that this is nothing wrong with this feature, and it functions exactly as it is intented to. We have included this message because many people were unclear as to what this feature does.

My apologies for the earlier sarcasm. I could care less about someones post count. In fact, please zero mine out :)

8. scottc

scottc Well-Known Member

There is another reason for unroutable domain errors: if someone sends bulk email to AOL too rapidly they will assume you are spamming and start returning error messages that are reported in the Exim logs as "unroutable domain" errors. Obviously AOL is not an unroutable domain unless they, or someone in between, is blocking the traffic.

Scot

9. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Had to burst anyone's bubble here, but "verify fail" is not the same as "unroutable" when it comes to error msgs.

As stated by Curious Too, "Occasionally a user who has had no problems sending/recieving email will suddenly start generating this error message in the exim log" which means: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it was an "unroutable" problem it would happen all the time. The only other alternative is the Server , or eMail services, were down when the eMail was sent. Although in those cases, it usually shows:

sender verify defer for <eMail address>: host lookup did not complete

So what is the problem?

Exim 4, being much better than Exim 3, automatically checks to see if the eMail Domain name being used, is a valid one. A quick check of my own logs showed this:

2003-07-08 16:56:37 H=(mx10.financial-mortgage-center.com) [64.235.48.10] sender verify fail for <jemmapglvuw@mx10.financial-mortgage-center.com>: unrouteable mail domain "mx10.financial-mortgage-center.com"

because: "mx10.financial-mortgage-center.com" is not a valid Domain name. (i.e., Spammer attempt)

Here's a beauty, from MPOV, as this fool has been trying for days to relay through the Server and getting nowhere -- fast.

2003-07-08 04:38:56 H=(www.xyz34.uk.co.sg) [218.70.8.160] sender verify fail for <bss@fre.sg.co.nz>: unrouteable mail domain "fre.sg.co.nz"

2003-07-08 04:38:56 H=(www.xyz34.uk.co.sg) [218.70.8.160] F=<bss@fre.sg.co.nz> rejected RCPT <A@cta.cq.cn>: Sender verify failed

Others might also want to check their logs, for anything similar. Most interesting results when one starts checking into that IP address.

As for the error msgs. posted by the thread starter, I would be "curious too" if these error msgs. were being generated by one of my Clients and have to wonder, are they doing something they shouldn't? Could be a mailing list being used that has incorrect or phoney addresses, but it is something I would check into.

"verify fail"
    Usually means Spam or someone trying to do something with a Server that they are not authorized for.

10. Curious Too

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I do not have phpsuexec installed and I do not have "prevent nobody from sending out email" enabled and still encountered unrouteable domain errors.

It turns out that only certain senders were generating these errors, typically senders with incorrect syntax errors in their ehlo/helo greetings. I added the following line to my exim.conf:

helo_accept_junk_hosts = *

and have not had any unrouteable domain errors since. A handfull of customers who could not retrieve email after the upgrade to Exim 4 were able to connect to the mailserver and customers who were "missing" email from certain people were able to receive those missing messages.

#10 Curious Too, Jul 8, 2003
  11. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

2003-07-09 00:03:56 fixed_login authenticator failed for (GOOFY) [4.63.67.97]: 535 Incorrect authentication data (set_id=brenden@crazytech.com)

Ahhh here we go again.. This seems to only reject Outlook XP connections..

Help anybody?

It started when I upgraded to E44.. and now Im up to E52. Yes, I sent a support ticket but.. you know the hours.

I did so many updatenow's and exim4's it doesn't really help. Any ideas to fix this little nagging problem? Thanks.

Brenden

12. tAzMaNiAc

Ok Nick brainstormed through this, and found out that the "710" fix for chmodding /home as referenced by rbrown actually was what broke the email system / smtp authentication..

So, GUYS, if you did chmod 710 on /home, you'd better move it back to 711. :)

Brenden

13. tAzMaNiAc

And check all permissions while you are at it! Probably the culprit for most problems....

Brenden

14. howard

howard Well-Known Member

You been getting these as well? They been trying since towards the start of june here

root@nebula [/home/four]# grep fre.sg.co.nz /var/log/exim-syslog|wc -l
    root@nebula [/home/four]#

15. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Appears my 'home' dir. is 755 and not altered by my self. Is this out of the norm?

fre.sg.co.nz

They've actually been me about 120 a week for the last 4 or 5???

16. tAzMaNiAc

I am not sure of your server, but 711 is a better permissions option for /home and directories under it than 755 is. :)

What about the directories under /home? i.e. your user dir permissions. I'm curious.

Brenden

17. Website Rob

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I had presumed (so watch out :)) that since new dir. are auto set to 755, whenever an new dir. is created, the same applied for a dir. created by WHM/Cpanel. Obviously not so. Checking dir. in the 'home' partition showed that they are all 711 -- unless 'root' created in which case they are 755.

I understand the difference between 711 & 755 and if WHM/Cpanel can work with it, so can I. :D

BTW, if I make the change and something goes wrong, it's all your fault -- OK ;)

18. loststryk

loststryk Well-Known Member

I had this happen to me now....

fixed by running /scripts/exim4 (was already running exim4) and then running /scripts/upcp

all sorted.

19. denisdekat09

denisdekat09 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have been getting a very strange thing happening, where I get nycap.rr.com failing sometimes. Strangely enough, it gets fixed when I log in, do an nslookup by hand, doing a set type=ns then queiring again. After that the domain starts working again. This has happened about 4 times in the last 8 months, which makes me wonder what it could be, and if it is me, or this server...

If anyone has had this sort of thing happen please let me know...

Right now I am thinking that their name server timed out or my querie timed out and my server is storing the info in cache for a while...

Not sure if it related to this thread, seemed most similar to my situation after several ugly searches :rolleyes:

20. denisdekat09

denisdekat09 Well-Known Member

I am getting unroutable domains from nycap.rr.com...

I have one customer that has email forwarded there and every once in a while I get this error.

At first I thought it may be that my DNS server did not allow recursive queries, so I added some other name servers that do, and the error cleared, but came back again...

I wish I could pin point what is going on, but something is. Only happens with this server, none of my others. Also, I checked all IPtables rules etc...