Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Odd hostname (and resulting e-mail) problem.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by ajmills, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ajmills

ajmills Registered

I've had this problem happen a couple of times recently, the second time last night (early hours of the 5th), which makes me think it's happening because of the upgrade script.

WHM version: 11.26.20

Basically, the hostname gets truncated from uk2.exampledomain.com to just "uk2" - this then means that e-mail fails as it tries to deliver to "username@uk2". To fix it I have to reset the hostname and then run "/scripts/eximup --force" so that e-mail will be delivered (locally) again.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know anything about it?

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Is the server a VPS, such as OpenVZ or Virtuozzo? What is the output from the following command:
    Code:
    uname -srvmpio && grep -H '' /etc/redhat-release /var/cpanel/envtype
    If the environment type is OpenVZ/Virtuozzo, do you have root access to the hardware node configuration of the virtual environment that controls the VPS container? I ask because I have seen this problem on older versions of OpenVZ/Virtuozzo. If this is the same issue I am thinking of, it can be easily resolved by updating to the latest version of OpenVZ/Virtuozzo from the hardware node. Here is a related bug report from the OpenVZ Bugzilla web site, OpenVZ Bug 1087 – hostname - FQDN or not, with special attention to Comment #8 that is applicable to RHEL and CentOS Linux systems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ajmills

ajmills Registered

Apologies for the delay in replying - I did forget to say that it is a VPS and that it is running on OpenVZ. I don't have access to see what version it is.

As a side note, I have updated WHM/cPanel to 11.28.75 and it still happens.

I shall point the ISP to this thread.