The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd hostname (and resulting e-mail) problem.

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ajmills, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ajmills

ajmills Registered

I've had this problem happen a couple of times recently, the second time last night (early hours of the 5th), which makes me think it's happening because of the upgrade script.

WHM version: 11.26.20

Basically, the hostname gets truncated from uk2.exampledomain.com to just "uk2" - this then means that e-mail fails as it tries to deliver to "username@uk2". To fix it I have to reset the hostname and then run "/scripts/eximup --force" so that e-mail will be delivered (locally) again.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know anything about it?

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Is the server a VPS, such as OpenVZ or Virtuozzo? What is the output from the following command:
    Code:
    uname -srvmpio && grep -H '' /etc/redhat-release /var/cpanel/envtype
    If the environment type is OpenVZ/Virtuozzo, do you have root access to the hardware node configuration of the virtual environment that controls the VPS container? I ask because I have seen this problem on older versions of OpenVZ/Virtuozzo. If this is the same issue I am thinking of, it can be easily resolved by updating to the latest version of OpenVZ/Virtuozzo from the hardware node. Here is a related bug report from the OpenVZ Bugzilla web site, OpenVZ Bug 1087 – hostname - FQDN or not, with special attention to Comment #8 that is applicable to RHEL and CentOS Linux systems.

3. ajmills

ajmills Registered

Apologies for the delay in replying - I did forget to say that it is a VPS and that it is running on OpenVZ. I don't have access to see what version it is.

As a side note, I have updated WHM/cPanel to 11.28.75 and it still happens.

I shall point the ISP to this thread.