Odd hostname (and resulting e-mail) problem.

ajmills

Registered
Dec 31, 2004
I've had this problem happen a couple of times recently, the second time last night (early hours of the 5th), which makes me think it's happening because of the upgrade script.

WHM version: 11.26.20

Basically, the hostname gets truncated from uk2.exampledomain.com to just "uk2" - this then means that e-mail fails as it tries to deliver to "[email protected]". To fix it I have to reset the hostname and then run "/scripts/eximup --force" so that e-mail will be delivered (locally) again.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know anything about it?

cPanelDon

cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Twitter
I've had this problem happen a couple of times recently, the second time last night (early hours of the 5th), which makes me think it's happening because of the upgrade script.

WHM version: 11.26.20

Basically, the hostname gets truncated from uk2.exampledomain.com to just "uk2" - this then means that e-mail fails as it tries to deliver to "[email protected]". To fix it I have to reset the hostname and then run "/scripts/eximup --force" so that e-mail will be delivered (locally) again.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know anything about it?
Is the server a VPS, such as OpenVZ or Virtuozzo? What is the output from the following command:
Code:
uname -srvmpio && grep -H '' /etc/redhat-release /var/cpanel/envtype
If the environment type is OpenVZ/Virtuozzo, do you have root access to the hardware node configuration of the virtual environment that controls the VPS container? I ask because I have seen this problem on older versions of OpenVZ/Virtuozzo. If this is the same issue I am thinking of, it can be easily resolved by updating to the latest version of OpenVZ/Virtuozzo from the hardware node. Here is a related bug report from the OpenVZ Bugzilla web site, OpenVZ Bug 1087 – hostname - FQDN or not, with special attention to Comment #8 that is applicable to RHEL and CentOS Linux systems.
OpenVZ Bug 1087 said:
Comment 8, Kir Kolyshkin, 2010-07-21 07:24:26 EDT
Fixed in git (also for Slackware):
openvz.org source repository - vzctl/commit (vzctl set --hostname: back to FQDN for Red Hat and Slackware)

Will be available in vzctl >= 3.0.25 (and probably also in vzctl-3.0.24.1)

ajmills

Registered
Dec 31, 2004
Apologies for the delay in replying - I did forget to say that it is a VPS and that it is running on OpenVZ. I don't have access to see what version it is.

As a side note, I have updated WHM/cPanel to 11.28.75 and it still happens.

I shall point the ISP to this thread.