The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd Issue, possibly permit related.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robputt796, May 12, 2011.

  1. robputt796

    robputt796 Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2011
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Hi,

    I am experiencing this really strange problem on one of our cPanel servers. We have one user who has made an add-on domain and they have sites in the root directory of the new domain, all works fine, but any subfolders won't open giving a "Not Found" error. Although 1 folder will, very odd. I have used chown to change the subfolders and subfiles to the right user account for the user and used chmod to make sure the permissions are correct. I have also tried removing the domain, re-adding the domain, removing all files and re uploading via FTP, but still the same issue. I have also checked .htaccess but there isn't any rules in the .htaccess file. The server isn't under any real load (0.04 average) and plenty of RAM is available, cPanel is LATEST STABLE. Only seem to have this issue with this one account and this one addon domain, the other addons on the account are working fine.

    Here is the directory listing with permits and owner shown... I have gained permission to show this from the user...

    The "podcast", "inc" and "css" folders gives a directory listing as expected, the other folders "ed1", "ed2" and "LATEST" give "Not Found" error pages.

    Really very odd, has anyone got any suggestions or ideas on how to solve this?

    Kind Regards

    Rob
     
    #1 robputt796, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

    cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    7,623
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Rob,

    Please tail the Apache error logs while trying to load those folders in a browser:

    Code:
    tail -fn0 /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
    Thanks!
     
  3. robputt796

    robputt796 Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2011
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Hi,

    When running tail on the logs and opening the page it seems to be trying to grab files from other domains...

    takken-now.com and letmesurf.info are different user's sites, not this users site. This is the only output whilst trying to load one of the folders discussed above.

    Kind Regards

    Rob
     
  4. robputt796

    robputt796 Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2011
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Hi,

    I have ran tail on the apache log, interesting as it doesn't report any errors relating to the directory of these files, or even files owned by this user when I try and load the page.

    Although the client IP is not my IP address, which suggests this is different clients using the service and hitting errors. All very strange.

    Kind Regards

    Rob
     
  5. robputt796

    robputt796 Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2011
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Hi,

    I have worked it out, just checked the DNS lookup for the domain, looks like the user has the name servers set wrong.

    Thanks for your help guys, will contact the user.

    Regards

    Rob
     
  6. cPanelTristan

    cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    7,623
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    38
    Location:
    somewhere over the rainbow
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Rob,

    When you tail the Apache error logs, you get errors for any users hitting sites on the machine, which is why you saw those other user sites and another IP. When you did not see that user's domain in the logs when hitting the site, it did indeed indicate either it wasn't logging errors or wasn't even pointing to the server.

    Thanks.
     
Loading...

Share This Page