The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd outages.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dcliff9, Dec 3, 2005.

1. dcliff9

dcliff9 Registered

Hello,
    I am hosting a few websites on an Apache Webserver with cPanel 10. For some, at what seems to be random times, the website will be unavailable.

When it seems to be down...

If I type the domain (http://www.domain.com) in a web browser it tells me "The domain www.domain.com could not be found. Please check the name and try again.".

I can successfully ping the domain by typing in "ping domain.com" at a dos prompt. It will resolve the domain name into the proper IP address of the server.

I can ftp to the server using the domain name via Dreamweaver or SmartFTP.

I can access cPanel by typing the IP of the server but not by typing the domain name.

I can access other websites with other domain names hosted on the same server.

This seems to happen fairly randomly but almost daily. I have yet to find a cause. I am not the admin of this server, but I am trying to find out if there is a known bug or something with cPanel that might be causing this. I would like to be able to give my admin some sort of direction on the problem. He thinks it is a DNS problem with my ISP but I have tried hitting the website from various locations and various ISP's when it was down and still got the same results.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. dcliff9

dcliff9 Registered

Additional Info

I just figured out that when the site is down, if I type in the domain name into a web browser without the www. in front of it, it seems to work. Anyone have any ideas what would cause the www. sub not to work?

3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

If your host doesn't want to research the problem, I suggest you move your site(s) to a different company.

4. panayot

panayot Well-Known Member

check on dnsreport.com if all your name servers point to the same web server, also dnsstuff.com is helpful.