The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oddest apache issue

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by KarlP818, Aug 3, 2005.

1. KarlP818

KarlP818 Member

I don't even know how to classify this problem, but here goes:

The box was working fine at around 10pm last night, but when we checked it this morning around 8am certain web subfolders could not be accessed. For example, www.domain.com worked fine on all accounts, but www.domain.com/subfolder gave errors. Some top level pages included files in sub folders, and these sections of the pages did not show up. I was receiving a "Action cancelled" error, but my boss claimed to get something along the lines of "server not accessable: dns failure" or whatever.

There were two or three sub folders that could be accessed, but i still have no idea what the difference was between these folders and any others that weren't working. Has anyone had this issue before? I tried searching google, but i honestly had no idea how to describe it or what the problem could have been. Even "service httpd stop/start" didn't fix it, so we ended up rebooting the box which solved the problem.

If anyone has any idea what could have caused this, i'd like to hear it. Thanks.

2. haze

haze Well-Known Member

What errors are popping up in the apache error_log ? What permissions / ownership do these folders have ?

3. KarlP818

KarlP818 Member

The error_log shows a whole lot of page not founds, which i'm pretty sure is normal, but at around 2:40 in the morning 4 child pid's show segmentation fault (11). They continue to show this error all the way up until the box was rebooted. I don't see any other error that could have started this chain of events, so i'm not sure how to prevent it from happening again.

I didn't even check the permissions on the folders at the time, because it was happening server wide, and a reboot fixed it.