The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off site mail server - How to setup reverse DNS?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pcgh, Sep 27, 2007.

1. pcgh

pcgh Active Member

I have a customer that is running their own mail server while I host the domain. I have setup the MX record to point to mail.customerdomain.com and added an A entry for mail to go to the customer's dedicated IP. Mail delivery to there is working fine.

However when it comes to sending mail, AOL, Comcast and some others are rejecting messages as follows:

<customerdomain.com #5.5.0 smtp;521-EHLO/HELO from sender CUSTOMERIP does not map to customerdomain.com in DNS>

This is apparently because the reverse DNS for mail.customerdomain.com does not point to the right place. How can this be corrected? I am sure I can't be the only one that has come across this - at least I hope not. :)

Thanks!

Tony

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You need to find out from your customer who their upstream connectivity is obtained from. Your customer will need to contact their services provider who issued them the IP address and ask them to add an rDNS entry.

If you are going to do that on behalf of your client, that's great - If not, it would be helpful if you provided your client with the information they need to give to their upstream.

If their mail server is named mail.customerdomain.com, then have your customer request from their upstream that a rDNS record be added for that IP address, resolving to mail.customerdomain.com.

Mike

3. pcgh

pcgh Active Member

Thanks, Mike. That is what I figured we had to do but I was doing my best to avoid calling Qworst. <sigh> I guess I will go spend the next hour on the phone with them trying to accomplish what should take two minutes. Haha!

T

4. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yeah spending the time on the phone is probably the best way to get it done. Depending on whether they have Qwest DSL or a Qwest dedicated circuit, you may have access an online support site at Qwest that will allow you to request this information. But then again your customer probably doesn't have that information readily available and you would have to jump through hoops to get that info, so it is probably best to just call them.

Mike